Thread: Oops! BRAW isnt Raw Its a YCbCr codec

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Oops! BRAW isnt Raw Its a YCbCr codec 
    I did an in depth look at the green screen footage shot by Nate Porter and came to a surprising discovery. BRAW is not RAW. It has undergone a color space conversion to YCbCr.

I do a lot of green screen compositing, so Im highly attuned to the various artifacts that different color spaces and codecs present to the keyer. One quick way to see problems is to examine the red channel. Below are the red channels from some of Nates clips. Ive enlarged them 2x to make it easier for you to see.

The telltale signature of a YCbCr color space is a white ringing or halo along the border between flesh tones and the green screen. It appears on other colors as well, reds in particular. As you can see in the pictures, Prores 422 and 444 have this ringing. And so does BRAW! However, Cinema DNG is perfectly clean, which is what youd expect from true RAW.

So, what do we make of all this? I'll leave that for you folks to say. As for me, when I shoot green or blue screen, I will definitely be using Cinema DNG!

Prores 444.jpgProres 422.jpgCDNG.jpgBRAW.jpg

i also noticed that all BRAW samples have some kind of strange color halo at color patches edges.
    Also less noise, less moire but same time less sharpness. Probably not a problem when you downscale 4K to HD, but for Pocket or Micro with native HD resolution and OLPF filter BRAW may be too soft with too compressed chroma.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Well, they already said the part of the demosaicing was done in-camera. It's good to know fow VFX plates but the BMRaw quality is good enough for me and my fiction pieces. Good finding!

Interesting, wonder if BM will comment on this. For me all the positives outweigh this but it's good to know.

Compression always loses something. But perfection is relative to purpose.

Nice find. Of all of the forms of "lossy" compression, Y’CbCr is probably the least egregious, but it is good to know that for pristine 4K compositing cDNG remains the best option.

Good to know, but as I mostly just shoot ProRes, if it is as good or better with less data, that is good enough for me.

Interesting find! What is it about Y’CrCb that causes this ringing even when encoded at 444?

Interesting. Still a very nice codec, but this means there's stuff for which you'll still want to use cDNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Interesting find! What is it about Y’CrCb that causes this ringing even when encoded at 444?
    Good question. I don't know the specifics, but there's something in the mathematical calculations of deriving Y;CrBr from RGB that causes it. I frequently see that people think 444 is identical to RGB. It is not. And this is a great example right here.