Thread: "First Light"... Wow! Low light and bright sunlight footage...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I also noticed that in the image there is excessive sharpness and contrast, for my taste. In many respects it is the merit of a lifelessly sharp lens Panasonic 12-35. I think with a new Pocket will be good wide open vintage lenses with diffusion filters. Try Tokina 28-70 wide open - it is detailed but with a dreamy glow masking pores on the face of the model.

When you have 4k, old FD lenses make a very good work..it's time to give a new life to my collection of old lenses with this new camera
    I still think that BMCC and BMPCC have that special "filmic" look, however this camera looks more modern, and of course it is way more versatile tool..

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I also noticed that in the image there is excessive sharpness and contrast, for my taste. In many respects it is the merit of a lifelessly sharp lens Panasonic 12-35. I think with a new Pocket will be good wide open vintage lenses with diffusion filters. Try Tokina 28-70 wide open - it is detailed but with a dreamy glow masking pores on the face of the model.
    I like the fact that the P4K can produce sharp images. You can always soften your footage with vintage lenses, diffusion and Resolve. It's way more difficult the other way round. You can literally craft the look you want with this little monster.
    Last edited by Stefan Antonescu; 09-19-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

Quote Originally Posted by alex.stefani View Post
    I still think that BMCC and BMPCC have that special "filmic" look, however this camera looks more modern, and of course it is way more versatile tool..
    That's what I thought until I saw the 'Dreamcatcher' footage shot by Pidulgi. The P4K has the same motion rendering as the BMCC if not better and I'm 100% confident that you can match them perfectly in post. IMO, the P4K has a more neutral starting point which can seem more 'modern' but don't let that fool you.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

If those BMD reps at IBC are correct BRaw is suppose to make the image even sharper. We will waite till BRaw arrives in the P4K and see how sharp it is.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.stefani View Post
    Yep. For example in music videos many artists prefer the more modern look compared to older "film look".

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yep. For example in music videos many artists prefer the more modern look compared to older "film look".
    Nobody is saying no against the alexa look though which is more soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    In many respects it is the merit of a lifelessly sharp lens Panasonic 12-35. I think with a new Pocket will be good wide open vintage lenses with diffusion filters.

Yep... if you could mount those those Panasonic lenses on film camera, they would make it look like video.

+1 for the older FDs and Nikkors!

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    Yep... if you could mount those those Panasonic lenses on film camera, they would make it look like video.
    How so?

People also seem to forget that there's literally a "midtone detail" slider in Resolve that knocks out pores instantly.

But yeah, the 12-35 is amazing on the V1 Pocket because it sharpens up the somewhat soft 1080p nicely. That addend sharpness probably isn't needed for 4K. But the color of those Panasonics is lovely.