Thread: Cinema 4K External Microphone Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cinema 4K External Microphone Suggestions? 
    I'm hoping to receive my Cinema 4K camera from Adorama next week. I'm wondering what microphones any of you are considering using outside of the onboard microphones? The footage looks great, but I'm guessing the on camera mics may be ok, but not as good as having a directional shotgun mini for recording run and gun interviews in less than stellar environments. I would like to be able to film live event interviews (red carpet, trade shows, etc) so I'm looking for something that is less prone to background and side area noise. I have Sennheiser and Audio Technica shotguns onboard my UMP, but I would prefer something more compact for the C4K. Ive watched YouTube videos, but most of them are aimed towards vloggers and YouTubers. I would prefer something with a more professional camera such as the C4K in mind like phantom power possibilities, accept mini xlr instead of 3.5mm that most have, pad, etc. Any suggestions other than the Rode Video Pro lines?

I would like to get a russian professional studio mic Oktava MK012. Here in Russia I can buy it used for just $100. I'm looking also for a good suspension shock mount and an XLR cable for this mic.

8040insta-880x470.jpg

Last edited by Snuff; 09-15-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Do you mean a mic to mount on top of the camera? Unless you're very close to the subject, I wouldn't recommend that. If you're operating solo for run-gun interviews, I would get a wired lav mic. Or could you get a grip for one of your shotgun mics and hold this just below the shot (if you're on a tripod?).

I think the results will depend much more on how close you can place a mic, rather than the type/quality of the mic itself.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerfre View Post
    not as good as having a directional shotgun mini for recording run and gun interviews

I think no matter the conditions, not mounted to the camera is the only workable option for 'interviews'. Pick up a Tascam DR-10X and a Sure SM58.

Not for interviews but for general directional sound, I'm planning on using an old Sony camcorder mic, just like this one, but I don't know how to hold it to the cam or future cage.

s-l640.jpg

I have a holder like this one but the thread is pretty thin.

1-Small-375x251.jpg

Any idea how to do that? is there any other mic holder that would work? I ask because the mic is somewhat heavy and there's only like 4 cm of free length to attach it to a holder.
    Last edited by Fauxto; 09-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    I think no matter the conditions, not mounted to the camera is the only workable option for 'interviews'. Pick up a Tascam DR-10X and a Sure SM58.
    Yes it would be ideal to be able to put a lav or even a handheld mic in talents hand, but unfortunately many times I'm filming celebrities that are doing media rounds and they are going to say a few words and move on to the next media person. I get great sound with my Sennheiser shotgun mic mounted to my Ursa Mini Pro, but it's a full length shotgun and too big to mount on the Cinema 4K so I was just looking to see if anyone is getting good results with one of the short shotguns that are advertised for dslr. I'm able to get pretty decent sound from anywhere from 2-5 feet away from talent with the directional mics aimed directly at talent...

Something new and small from Sanken was just intro'd at IBC, might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Something new and small from Sanken was just intro'd at IBC, might be worth checking out.

Will look for it now. Thanks!