Thread: Blackmagic raw!

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    In a recent interview, a BMD rep reluctantly/half-heartedly said that supporting other camera manufacturers is something that they would do if asked. The look on his face made that proposition look about as appealing as porcupine full body scrub.
    I hope that BMD would support with open arms other cameras using their braw.

As not only is this good for the other cameras and consumers in general, but it also is subtly promoting BMD every time someone uses braw no matter where it is. And would further entrench BMD as a industry player and a game changer.

No way BMD gives up such valuable intellectual property to their camera-making competitors for free, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    Also, if you simply take a look at what they're doing with Resolve, Fusion and Fairlight, it's clear Blackmagic's thinking is beyond BMD camera owners. Now it isn't up to BM to force BRAW onto another manufacturer's hardware... which is why he's providing the SDK.
    In an early interview BM leadership seemed to express they wanted "affordable" raw/prores cameras in more hands because that would drive the adoption of their software. For most companies other than apple software margins are bigger than hardware margins. This theory that other people have that BM want to jealously guard their innovations regarding raw in order to preserve the uniqueness of their camera line doesn't seem quite right. I don't get the impression selling cameras is their raison d'Ítre.

It's like laptops. Almost all the big laptop makers used to be American. Now most of them are Asian and few of them are known for their massive profits. The margins got so compressed. But even in that environment Microsoft of all people started making laptops. Their stated reason was people weren't making good enough laptops for their software. They launched the Surface line to show people how it is done. But they share their software freely with other manufactures and collaborate with them. And they have been very careful to say they are not really trying to compete with other manufacturers. They are leaving plenty of the market completely unserviced and available to other manufactures.

The problem is people are very linear. They don't see the other angles especially in business. They don't understand the concept of giving away a little so you can make money on a lot. It wouldn't surprise me if there are few if any profits in BM camera division. Maybe that is how they can blow out 1080p raw cameras for less than $500. You don't even care about making a profit on the camera because you know you are going to get people hooked on Resolve. And if you are making little money or maybe even a loss on your cameras why not let someone else do the manufacturing and selling? Many camera manufactures have historically operated at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    In an early interview BM leadership seemed to express they wanted "affordable" raw/prores cameras in more hands because that would drive the adoption of their software. For most companies other than apple software margins are bigger than hardware margins. This theory that other people have that BM want to jealously guard their innovations regarding raw in order to preserve the uniqueness of their camera line doesn't seem quite right. I don't get the impression selling cameras is their raison d'Ítre.

It's like laptops. Almost all the big laptop makers used to be American. Now most of them are Asian and few of them are known for their massive profits. The margins got so compressed. But even in that environment Microsoft of all people started making laptops. Their stated reason was people weren't making good enough laptops for their software. They launched the Surface line to show people how it is done. But they share their software freely with other manufactures and collaborate with them. And they have been very careful to say they are not really trying to compete with other manufacturers. They are leaving plenty of the market completely unserviced and available to other manufactures.

The problem is people are very linear. They don't see the other angles especially in business. They don't understand the concept of giving away a little so you can make money on a lot. It wouldn't surprise me if there are few if any profits in BM camera division. Maybe that is how they can blow out 1080p raw cameras for less than $500. You don't even care about making a profit on the camera because you know you are going to get people hooked on Resolve. And if you are making little money or maybe even a loss on your cameras why not let someone else do the manufacturing and selling? Many camera manufactures have historically operated at a loss.

this totally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Madsen View Post
    No way BMD gives up such valuable intellectual property to their camera-making competitors for free, surely.
    You're right. That would be crazy. Imagine if Blackmagic gave away a professional level color grading, editing, sound, and effects package away for free. I mean, they would never do that. I also don't think they would make a camera that can record raw internally and cut beside the Alexa, and only sell if for $2k. I mean... that would be totally crazy. What the hell was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post

Preach.

Developing software that trumps everything that's ever been available is a genius move. Same thing Jobs did. He knew he could never win with hardware. These days every manufacturer is focused on hardware specs. BM comes through like... Psst... want to shoot RAW and get smaller files than ProRes? BOOM.

Also... here's a player... BOOM.

I see a lot of UMPro's flying off the shelves, especially when BRAW is out of Beta. But the greatest trick is when other cameras down the line use the codec. The name Blackmagic suddenly makes sense.
    Last edited by misterkofa; 09-19-2018 at 02:47 AM.

haha yeah exactly I am sure those canon, sony, panasonic, red employees would feel feel butthurt everytime they see the name blackmagic raw codec coming up in their camera. Genius move from blackmagic.

However Resolve is dirt-cheap compared to other software, and it's basically a life-long upgrade garanty right now. Why would that be their bread-and-butter?

I don't see this codec being any different than other manufacturer specific camera codecs. Redcode, or ARRIraw or Canon Raw lite for instance. Making the software SDK freely available just insures rapid wide adoption into industry standard post software. That will help drive camera sales.
    The bulk of BM's income is from hardware sales. Vertical integration of complementary hardware and software products is pretty common in our industry.
    It is possible that the codec might be picked up for use in external recorders, but how much sensor specific optimization is needed to make it work with other cameras? How many cameras actually output raw data to external recorders? Panasonic with the EVA-1 and several Sony models come to mind, but not much else.

Resolve may be cheap software but it is rapidly evolving into a heavy iron high end finishing application that requires ever more serious, read expensive, computer power to run efficiently.
    What works well in a dedicated $30k hardware suite doesn't necessarily work so well on a typical indie shooter's laptop, even a fairly beefy one.
    Last edited by razz16mm; 09-19-2018 at 07:13 AM.

BMD makes software in order to sell hardware. Same goes for Apple. Not the other way around.

Remember how uneasy BMD was when answering questions about incorporating ProRes RAW? That's how they are now acting about helping other manufacturers incorporate BRAW. I'm not suggesting that they wouldn't do it. It would be shocking if anyone asks, but if they did, my guess is that BMD would indeed help them.

PS. Someone referenced the SDK in regards to cameras. The two aren't related at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    I hope that BMD would support with open arms other cameras using their braw.

As not only is this good for the other cameras and consumers in general, but it also is subtly promoting BMD every time someone uses braw no matter where it is. And would further entrench BMD as a industry player and a game changer.
    Does BMD really have the time to Profile and program all these other NON BMD camera sensors that everybody wants to have BRAW included with?