Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    I just want to shout out a big:
    Thank you Blackmagic Design!

For Resolve 15!
    For Pocket 4K!
    For Blackmagic RAW!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxto View Post
    BRaw, if it works advertised, is certainly major. My only semi-worry is the demosaicing part that takes place in the camera. I understand it plays a big role in making everything lighter to the computer and I guess the 'baking' in the file is very minor, but it takes away the possibility of revisiting old footage with a new better demosaicing
    Are we 100% sure about that ? I haven't heard anything from BM so far, so I wouldn't jumb to conclusions.

After all, this is one of the main reasons REDCODE RAW is so powerful. RED ONE footage looks better today than 10 years ago. Hard to believe BM would pass up on that...
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Think about it, if BMD is to work with other manufacturers to implement BRaw how on earth could it justify selling their own cameras if any of them cant do BRaw as well?
    Blackmagic never really wanted to sell cameras. Their frustration was they had this great software and accessories but the camera manufacturers were not making cameras to take advantage of them. If other manufacturers stepped up and produced appropriate cameras at an affordable price I guess Blackmagic would be happy to go back to being "just" a software and accessory company.

The thing is manufacturers don't change. They would quietly let Blackmagic close up shop and then go right back to deleting features and locking things down. The camera division at Blackmagic gives them another seat at the table. I would think they would be reluctant to give it up even if it wasn't very profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Blackmagic never really wanted to sell cameras. Their frustration was they had this great software and accessories but the camera manufacturers were not making cameras to take advantage of them. If other manufacturers stepped up and produced appropriate cameras at an affordable price I guess Blackmagic would be happy to go back to being "just" a software and accessory company.

The thing is manufacturers don't change. They would quietly let Blackmagic close up shop and then go right back to deleting features and locking things down. The camera division at Blackmagic gives them another seat at the table. I would think they would be reluctant to give it up even if it wasn't very profitable.
    So the reason they sell cameras was other cameras manufacturers did not make good enough cameras? No shit Sherlock!

So the reason they sell cameras was other cameras manufacturers did not make good enough cameras? No shit Sherlock!
    I'll be sure to help you out in the future when you have questions.

And no, there are plenty of other reasons that people jump into selling a product other than the competitors don't make a product that is "good enough". But with that attitude I see no reason to discuss it any further.

Just to clarify, the official samples are all 12:1, correct? if so, damn. Also love the ability to shoot directly in 2.4:1 to save even more data, would be cool if the P4K would offer that as well, probably not initially, but who knows if we ask nicely, right?

Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Give it to me, I'll break it
    Forget it, I was trying to break it for quite a while now - no dice.
    It's really awesome even at 12:1.
    I had a hard time to see any difference, between 3:1 DNG and BRAW - even in extreme pixel peeping mode.

I don't know how they did that, but it's mind blowing.

I propose, that BM spells the "magic" part of the name from now on in capital letters.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Just to clarify, the official samples are all 12:1, correct? if so, damn. Also love the ability to shoot directly in 2.4:1 to save even more data, would be cool if the P4K would offer that as well, probably not initially, but who knows if we ask nicely, right?
    I think Kholi's clips have some at 8:1? Is that right?

The wedding ones are 12:1.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Forget it, I was trying to break it for quite a while now - no dice.
    It's really awesome even at 12:1.
    I had a hard time to see any difference, between 3:1 DNG and BRAW - even in extreme pixel peeping mode.

I don't know how they did that, but it's mind blowing.

I propose, that BM spells the "magic" part of the name from now on in capital letters.
    Wow! That is a strong endorsement and very exciting to hear!

Again Grant has no say for other brand to get BRaw. He was basically saying in that video which Blackmagic cameras is getting BRaw.

From the horse's mouth brah:

1:55 - "It's very easy to use. We're trying to open up RAW recording to everyone."
    3:00 - "The other thing we've done is anyone can read the files.... Easy for anyone to add it into their own software applications."

There are many other references throughout the video. I"m not speculating what BM might do. The CEO clearly states the goal to get BRAW into the hands of everyone. Even his redundant line about it being able to understand the specific characteristics of the sensor.

What is the argument here?

It seems clear to me Grant wants BRAW to be the new standard in high end work, period. Not just for Blackmagic owners.
    Last edited by misterkofa; 09-17-2018 at 08:45 PM.