Thread: Blackmagic raw!

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    I believe Grant said in the video that pretty much alluding to that they'd be open to getting it into other brands' cameras. That would be quite amazing to see if it ever happens.
    I think Grant meant other BMD cameras.
    Its not up to Grant to get it to other brand cameras but it is up to other brands to jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I think Grant meant other BMD cameras.
    Its not up to Grant to get it to other brand cameras but it is up to other brands to jump in.
    With all the emphasis on how easy it is to use and that the SDK being available right away, it seems that's exactly what he meant.... To get it to other cameras (outside BMD).

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    With all the emphasis on how easy it is to use and that the SDK being available right away, it seems that's exactly what he meant.... To get it to other cameras (outside BMD).
    Again Grant has no say for other brand to get BRaw. He was basically saying in that video which Blackmagic cameras is getting BRaw.

Was also an interview stating that they're open to assisting other camera manufacturers. It's smart on BMDs part because in order to implement it you need black magic to profile the sensor. Open codec and more money for them.

I've been listening to this interview and at 3.50-4.20 the rep clearly let slip that BRaw has arrived on the UM4.6k and "anybody who has a 4.6k camera" and when he was corrected by the interviewer that it is the UMPro and P4K he defended his oversight and admit that BRaw will come to "all Ursa Minis eventually" and "eventually P4K". Think about it, if BMD is to work with other manufacturers to implement BRaw how on earth could it justify selling their own cameras if any of them cant do BRaw as well? I think all BMD cameras that are not EOL will have BRaw.

Did a test now with a MBP 13" which only has the Intel GPU. It is challenged and only get's close to RT in a HD timeline just playing back, no CC.
    But since the CPU is not at the limit and my iMac uses both CPU and GPU to play BMraw, I'm sure it'll work with a better GPU or the eGPU.

... but what does eventually mean? This is so transformative that it changes the P4K into something we must have. With the older codecs, not so much.
    Last edited by Philip Lipetz; 09-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Did BRawley suggest that name?

It's way more game changing than many seem to realize. REDRAW was a major factor why RED cameras took off back then. BRaw seems to be lot easier on post processing hardware.

BRaw, if it works advertised, is certainly major. My only semi-worry is the demosaicing part that takes place in the camera. I understand it plays a big role in making everything lighter to the computer and I guess the 'baking' in the file is very minor, but it takes away the possibility of revisiting old footage with a new better demosaicing
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxto View Post
    BRaw, if it works advertised, is certainly major. My only semi-worry is the demosaicing part that takes place in the camera. I understand it plays a big role in making everything lighter to the computer and I guess the 'baking' in the file is very minor, but it takes away the possibility of revisiting old footage with a new better demosaicing
    True, but in practical terms, how often would that be useful? Maybe for stock clips? It's technically cool that you can reinterpret old RAW footage, but 99% of the time, we're not going to ever re-deliver a delivery.