Thread: UMP 18 Months Old - $6000 Paper Weight

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    I guess if BMD couldn't find the problem, they couldn't offer you a repair. Seems odd though. Might be nice for them to offer a discount on a new or refurbished unit in such a case.

Some bank and credit cards give automatic warranty extensions on purchases. Depending on how you bought it and the terms, that might be worth looking into.

I
    I've surmised that if the problem isn't a replaceable screen or switch or something along those lines, they just don't have much in the way of replacement components, as in circuit boards and such. I suppose that is fine but telling a customer that their non-damaged $6000 camera is not fixable after 18 months without some MAJOR accommodation, just doesn't seem right to me?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    I guess if BMD couldn't find the problem, they couldn't offer you a repair. Seems odd though. Might be nice for them to offer a discount on a new or refurbished unit in such a case.

Some bank and credit cards give automatic warranty extensions on purchases. Depending on how you bought it and the terms, that might be worth looking into.

I
    A substantial discount on a new camera I would think!

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    This really surprises me.

I don't believe that they can't determine which component has failed.
    Even if it's a BAD failure of major internal components they should still be able to fix it at a high cost.
    Offering a $3,000 repair as an option to the customer would be better than this response.

I know a lot of RED cameras get bricked, but at least RED tries everything before giving up.
    DPStewart, another user who I always enjoy seeing your posts. I am in TOTAL DISBELIEF and while a $3000 camera repair would be, IMHO, a worst case scenario, I guess I have been introduced to the even WORSER case scenario.
    Last edited by dmetz; 09-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Yeah this does not seem right at all. I would totally flip out if my UMP dies and cannot get repaired. Which I find strange because I always read these nice stories about the support.
    So contact them again and ask why they cannot repair it, even at a cost, surely it will be less then 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
    A substantial discount on a new camera I would think!
    Yeah. With the purchase history of the OP some kind of multithousand dollar accommodation should be made. Even if they sell him another Ursa Mini Pro for half off that is still almost $10,000 total out of his pocket for both cameras. Surely they can take his camera back and strip it for parts to partially offset the discount.

Very unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Yeah this does not seem right at all. I would totally flip out if my UMP dies and cannot get repaired. Which I find strange because I always read these nice stories about the support.
    So contact them again and ask why they cannot repair it, even at a cost, surely it will be less then 6k.
    Maybe he can call Australia directly or escalate things somehow. Maybe write a letter. Sometimes branches can be irrational but headquarters is a bit more clear headed.

WOW...I am shaking as I write this. I just got off the phone from BMD customer support for the U.S. Last week I sent a lightly used Ursa Mini Pro for service because the camera would not turn on after experiencing various screen glitches. The response I got back today is that this camera is NOT REPAIRABLE and will be returned to me via Fed-X today. I was on the phone quite a while with Ruslan at customer support and was also helped by a gentlemen named Marce; both very responsive and kind but the message clear. Your camera with NO VISIBLE EXTERIOR DAMAGE, can not and will not be repaired and there is NOTHING ELSE THAT BMD can (or will) do.

So....BUYER BEWARE. Spending $6000 on the UMP was a HUGE purchase for me. I was such a proud owner and I believe one of the first to receive the camera. It was lightly used and had sustained no damage whatsoever. Had I used it weekly, whatever factory defect was present would likely have shown up in the 1 year warranty period. Unless I am a special case, be prepared to throw out your BMD camera if it fails beyond the warranty period.

I am just sad and shaken right now. I have been such an ambassador for BMD. In fact, in minutes, I am meeting with a couple to help provide some user tips with their BMCC.

I decided to go to B&H where I feel like I need to update my experience with BMD and this camera. Imagine. Mine was the VERY FIRST review for B&H and the UMP.
    I am filled with mixed emotions right now. This afternoon, I received an email and apparently BMD is going to go above and beyond to keep this customer. I am thrilled to be getting a working camera and now wish I had never started this thread but I am confused still by the original response and the seeming lack of capacity to reasonably identify and repair a failed component, circuit board or whatever for a reasonable price.

Suffice to say however that my original faith in BMD is wholly restored and I wish to thank the folks at support for their help and to the BMD staff that presumably consider my case.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Yeah. With the purchase history of the OP some kind of multithousand dollar accommodation should be made. Even if they sell him another Ursa Mini Pro for half off that is still almost $10,000 total out of his pocket for both cameras. Surely they can take his camera back and strip it for parts to partially offset the discount.

Very unfortunate.

Maybe he can call Australia directly or escalate things somehow. Maybe write a letter. Sometimes branches can be irrational but headquarters is a bit more clear headed.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know why or how but something happened and I am now experiencing customer support even greater than I would have or could have expected. I do appreciate everyone's support and suggestions.

That's great news, glad to hear it!

I am filled with mixed emotions right now. This afternoon, I received an email and apparently BMD is going to go above and beyond to keep this customer. I am thrilled to be getting a working camera and now wish I had never started this thread but I am confused still by the original response and the seeming lack of capacity to reasonably identify and repair a failed component, circuit board or whatever for a reasonable price.

Suffice to say however that my original faith in BMD is wholly restored and I wish to thank the folks at support for their help and to the BMD staff that presumably consider my case.
    Good to hear.

Glad your camera is getting taken care of. Now you should make sure your hefty investment is insured by a reputable company. It was the first thing I did when I made the jump from the $1k-$3k range to the $6k+ range. Haven't had to file a claim yet (thank the gods), but the peace of mind is really, really worth it. I'm with Athos.