Thread: UMP 18 Months Old - $6000 Paper Weight

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 UMP 18 Months Old - $6000 Paper Weight 
    WOW...I am shaking as I write this. I just got off the phone from BMD customer support for the U.S. Last week I sent a lightly used Ursa Mini Pro for service because the camera would not turn on after experiencing various screen glitches. The response I got back today is that this camera is NOT REPAIRABLE and will be returned to me via Fed-X today. I was on the phone quite a while with Ruslan at customer support and was also helped by a gentlemen named Marce; both very responsive and kind but the message clear. Your camera with NO VISIBLE EXTERIOR DAMAGE, can not and will not be repaired and there is NOTHING ELSE THAT BMD can (or will) do.

So....BUYER BEWARE. Spending $6000 on the UMP was a HUGE purchase for me. I was such a proud owner and I believe one of the first to receive the camera. It was lightly used and had sustained no damage whatsoever. Had I used it weekly, whatever factory defect was present would likely have shown up in the 1 year warranty period. Unless I am a special case, be prepared to throw out your BMD camera if it fails beyond the warranty period.

I am just sad and shaken right now. I have been such an ambassador for BMD. In fact, in minutes, I am meeting with a couple to help provide some user tips with their BMCC.

I decided to go to B&H where I feel like I need to update my experience with BMD and this camera. Imagine. Mine was the VERY FIRST review for B&H and the UMP.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dmetz; 09-13-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Woah, did they give you a diagnosis of what was broken in the camera?

Most electronics have a one year warranty. I've run into this issue with other major brands. Not a completely dead system but certainly major defects a little past the one year mark.

You have to use your gear when you get it to discover defects. Manufacturing defects are usually bimodal. A bunch when new and another spike much later in life. You have to use the gear to discover the childhood illnesses. Another option is perhaps an extended warranty. You bring up a good point. If you are a just a hobbyist it may be a good idea to get the extended warranty (assuming there is one) if you are not putting it through its paces in the first year. I have seen this with apple stuff. I've seen all sorts of defects pop up with their stuff in the 18 month or more time frame. Maybe it isn't any more than anyone else but once you have paid a ridiculous sum for an item you kind of want your investment to last more than a few months.

What was the diagnosis? Or, what did they say was wrong with the camera?

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

I guess if BMD couldn't find the problem, they couldn't offer you a repair. Seems odd though. Might be nice for them to offer a discount on a new or refurbished unit in such a case.

Some bank and credit cards give automatic warranty extensions on purchases. Depending on how you bought it and the terms, that might be worth looking into.

I

I mean, aren't you insured?

This really surprises me.

I don't believe that they can't determine which component has failed.
    Even if it's a BAD failure of major internal components they should still be able to fix it at a high cost.
    Offering a $3,000 repair as an option to the customer would be better than this response.

I know a lot of RED cameras get bricked, but at least RED tries everything before giving up.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by alextee View Post
    Woah, did they give you a diagnosis of what was broken in the camera?
    Thanks Alextee. No diagnosis provided. They confirmed that the camera won't turn on and just stated that it cannot be fixed. It will turn on if I coax it, ie. put a battery on the unit and a Cfast. Turn it on, nothing happens but the CFAST card will warm up. Then multiple on off power up cycles maybe take some media in and out, look at it a certain way and eventually it will turn on. Screen will then glitch and the unit will become unresponsive after which one can try to repeat the aforementioned process and potentially get the camera to turn on again. If the camera turns on at this point and you don't turn it off, it may work for hours. This was all described in detail to the service center.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Most electronics have a one year warranty. I've run into this issue with other major brands. Not a completely dead system but certainly major defects a little past the one year mark.

You have to use your gear when you get it to discover defects. Manufacturing defects are usually bimodal. A bunch when new and another spike much later in life. You have to use the gear to discover the childhood illnesses. Another option is perhaps an extended warranty. You bring up a good point. If you are a just a hobbyist it may be a good idea to get the extended warranty (assuming there is one) if you are not putting it through its paces in the first year. I have seen this with apple stuff. I've seen all sorts of defects pop up with their stuff in the 18 month or more time frame. Maybe it isn't any more than anyone else but once you have paid a ridiculous sum for an item you kind of want your investment to last more than a few months.
    Thanks VidShooter. I didn't use it a LOT but I certainly did use it in the first year to shoot a few short films and some contest films. I believe I was one of the first to post some images with the camera as I pre-ordered and believe I was one of the first to receive the UMP from B&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    What was the diagnosis? Or, what did they say was wrong with the camera?
    Thanks Kholi, always admire your posts and as you can see, I've been a dedicated BMCUser since August 2012, almost as long as you! No, they provided no diagnosis but only confirmed that they could not get the camera to turn on and that it was not repairable. $6000 for 18 months! I just can't believe it. I've owned the BMPC4K, two pockets, currently own the micro CC, a UMP paper weight and have pre-ordered the P4K.