Thread: P4K footage "Dreamcatcher" ---> HOLY SHIT !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 P4K footage "Dreamcatcher" ---> HOLY SHIT !!! 

Shot by Pidulgi.

Ok, so this is the first footage shot in 24p with a vintage lens that made me jumb out of my seat and scream HOLY SHIT !!! The motion rendering is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. At least as good as the BMCC if not better. I literally stopped watching the video at 0:36 just to make this thread. This is ALEXA motion at 24p. I'm beyond happy, I'm THRILLED.

BM has done an outstanding job with this camera. THANK YOU !

----------

https://youtu.be/yCxFqFBrz1o

Pidulgi's Youtube description :

I was privileged to receive the new Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K! I will be filming a lot of kpop content with this camera. Filming with model Bonnie Lee in Seoul! (Instagram @iambonnielee)

RAW Loseless 4K DCI @ 24fps
    ISO 400, 6400
    Samsung T5 SSD through USB-C
    Metabones EF to MFT T Speedbooster XL 0.64x
    Shot with Contax Zeiss MM 50mm/f1.4

Vimeo Link: https://vimeo.com/289633913

In “Bubble Gum” I have attempted to test the camera in what I usually shoot, fashion and music videos. This time, I wanted to do a more traditional test, with shots created to test the camera in an environment and conditions closer to what filmmakers that film shorts and feature films might come across. I wanted to test the dynamic range and roll-off of the camera in realistic scenarios rather than extreme tests. I have attempted shots that use the dynamic range of the camera wisely in order to combine detail in the sky as well as the shadows.

I also wanted to experiment and see how close I could get this test to look like the older Black Magic cameras. In order to have a measure for that, I have rigged the Pocket 4K together with the Micro Cinema Camera (same sensor as the original Pocket Camera) and have filmed this whole shoot simultaneously. I will be posting a separate comparison video at some time soon.

I wanted to do a good share of tripod shots as well as movement shots but unfortunately, the double rig with two cameras was too much for the Ronin-S. Thus, the shaky footage when the camera is not on the tripod since that rig was quite heavy and hard to work with for any serious cinematography. I decided to still include those shots.

While I will be talking further about this on my comparison video, to me this test was very important as I could experiment and see what makes the old and the new Pocket cameras similar and what makes them different. My personal observation was that with a little work the two cameras can be made almost indistinguishable look wise – if that’s the target of course since the Pocket 4K has a very nice look on its own. In order to exactly match the Pocket4K footage to the old pocket, the Pocket4K footage has to be blurred for matching the lower definition of the original Pocket sensor. Then a film grain filter must be applied in order to emulate the luma noise of the original Pocket sensor that is almost completely absent in the Pocket 4K. After that, the two footages can only be separated by observing imperfections like the noticeable moire in the original pocket. Especially when both cameras have Version 4 color science applied, the match is almost perfect.

During my experiments, I found out that one of the elements that really brings the Pocket 4K closer to the original Pocket is the film grain so it was left in this footage as I found it aesthetically pleasing. Although this little amount of grain is absorbed by web compression, like the original Pocket it remains embended in the look and feel of the video.

All the shots are with natural light only, without any assistance, filters etc. The last four shots are extreme low-light tests at ISO6400 (lenses at f2~f2.8) with available light only. Especially in the last three, the model is illuminated only by the very faint street lamps. The corresponding shots captured with the Micro Cinema Camera are unusable.
    Last edited by Stefan Antonescu; 09-13-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Adding Youtube description.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

And obviously a big THANK YOU to Pidulgi for shooting this beautiful piece.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

Here's the Vimeo link: https://vimeo.com/289633913

From here, you can download the original.

The dynamic range is just so noticeably better than the Gh5/ Gh5s. I'm not sure if it's just peoples poor colour grading but I've seen so many flat dull clouds on the GH5/Gh5s when they are competing with the subject. The clouds shown in this are very clear, very bright and have all their detail while keeping the subject well exposed.

Look forward to seeing the micro camera footage side by side! Thanks for taking the time to compare btw.

GH5(s) =around 10.6 stops dynamic range (according to the latest Cinema5D test)
    BM Pocket 4k = 13.1 stops dynamic range.

Did not understand comparing the Pocket 4k to GH5 at all.
    I even take the Old Pocket or Micro Cinema and shoot in 1080p but at least with a nice DR
    and got a nice "non DSLR" look with it. And it is raw, ProRes. Grain looks so much better
    with those BM Cameras.

Also looking forward for side by side comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    GH5(s) =around 10.6 stops dynamic range (according to the latest Cinema5D test)
    BM Pocket 4k = 13.1 stops dynamic range.
    I mean, as long as they haven't been tested side-by-side those numbers are sort of meaningless. Really nice footage, once again! Also really excited about the Micro versus Pocket 4k comparison that he's working on.
    Last edited by Seanzzxx; 09-13-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzzxx View Post
    I mean, as long as they haven't been tested side-by-side those numbers are sort of meaningless.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Did not understand comparing the Pocket 4k to GH5 at all.
    Me either. Especially with all the image-processing going on in the GH5 as well. There has been some heated debates about it... but there is an unmistakable "crunchy" look to the GH5 that you cannot get rid of. The Noise-Reduction and/or Sharpness settings don't fully turn of at "-5" setting... and you get that detail-haloing and sloppy-cadence that, IMO, makes the image unusable for anything besides maybe travel vlogging. Which sucks, cause I was really excited about the GH5s in particular... but man... that image-processing... it makes the image look like blown-up 1080p footage. It just doesn't look "4K" in the way Red, EVA1, or, heck, even the original BMPC 4k look.

There's no way there's a 2+ stop difference between the Pocket and the GH5s.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

Thank you for posting up my video and everybody for the kind comments. As I mention in the description, the focus on this test was to film the Pocket 4K side by side with the Micro so I can see how the two cameras compare and have a good reference for my "old BM look" attempt on the Pocket 4K. At the same time I had the chance to further test dynamic range, noise at higher ISO as well as moire (coming up on the comparison video: the Micro has serious troubles with that Dreamcatcher). I also tried to expose for the sky this time and bring up the shadows on Bonnie, as some people were a bit scared about my front of the sun shots in Bubble Gum and how the sun was clipped there. Obviously it was not a project for creating good cinematography or selling my work so please excuse the shaking and rough shots. I had to hold, expose, frame and focus two cameras. It was not my intention to release the footage on its own (my plan was to just create the standard Vimeo comparison) but I found out this wasn't bad at all to post like this for people to enjoy and from what I see it was a good idea

41656665_10154953847687168_1607892870650396672_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antonescu View Post
    Shot by Pidulgi.
    Thank you again Stefan! Could you please edit your first post and copy paste the description from my Youtube video if possible so people can read the context? It can be after your own comments. Thanks!
    Last edited by pidulgi; 09-13-2018 at 09:14 AM.