Thread: Schneider Kreuznach Variogon 18-90mm f/2 & Canon 13mm f/1.5

1. #1 Schneider Kreuznach Variogon 18-90mm f/2 & Canon 13mm f/1.5 
    The old pocket still has a lot of life, for me at least. I picked up these two lenses over the summer. The c-mount/Super16 vintage lens fad has seemed to have died down a little, but this Schneider zoom is still sold on eBay for $400-500. I was lucky and found one for $200

I felt I needed a wide angle to go alone with it and selected the canon C-16 13mm based on Alan's review of it on vintage lenses for video. The build quality is horrible but the lens is sweet. I love the ability of the pocket to have a clean normal look for clients with speedbooster and sigma arts, but then go to much more creative unique s16 mode on weekends. I sincerely hope P4k gets a s16 crop.

Footage of a model in a glade, let me know what you think!

https://vimeo.com/277740560

By the way, the comment on the video by Noland (who I shot it with, and used his Vimeo plus so we could try uprezing to 4k for bitrate as an experiment) is wrong. I have not been able to get the 18-90mm parfocal. But I might need to shim the screw mount adapter. If anyone has any insight on this I would love to know.

I cannot for the life of me get the embedded video to show up. HELP?
    Last edited by Connor_R; 09-13-2018 at 12:09 AM.

really beautiful, love to see the cheaper vintage glass get some lime light. The s16 glass like the zeiss superspeeds are just too expensive for me to consider.

Did you use anything to stabilise your moving shots?

Wow, beautiful! Now I'm hesitating to sell my Pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    really beautiful, love to see the cheaper vintage glass get some lime light. The s16 glass like the zeiss superspeeds are just too expensive for me to consider.

Did you use anything to stabilise your moving shots?
    Thank you! Same here...I rented the zuperspeeds MKII (with the triangular bokeh) for one short film. They were really gorgeous and extremely sharp stopped down to t2 or 2.8. Way too expensive to own but an option I LOVE to have. But as for owning, there is just great cheap glass. The 13mm to me looks like a Helios 44-2 for Super16 with the swirly bokeh! It's on a shoulder rig well balanced with counter-weights, which I find helps with micro jitters. It's a probably 12-15lb rig overall. A few shots have a minuscule amount of resolve position stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Thank you! Yes it is still such a wonderful camera. It's life was greatly extended for me when I learned how to transform the color to ARRI colorspace, which is how this is graded. By Juan Melara http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/a-bett...ini-cinemadngs
    This works for pocket raw too!

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    The pocket is a novelty at this point a great asset and won't net you that much of a monetary gain, why sell it? Hell I'm planning on buying one if I see it for like $200 just to go with my mirco.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor_R View Post
    Thank you! Yes it is still such a wonderful camera. It's life was greatly extended for me when I learned how to transform the color to ARRI colorspace, which is how this is graded. By Juan Melara http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/a-bett...ini-cinemadngs
    This works for pocket raw too!
    So are you also converting the color space to Alexa or just the gamma curve? Because if you folow the tutorial with the BMCC footage exactly, you are actually using REC709 colour space with a LogC gamma curve.

Anyway really nice footage! Really still amazed how filmic this camera can look

Quote Originally Posted by ru31jan View Post
    So are you also converting the color space to Alexa or just the gamma curve? Because if you folow the tutorial with the BMCC footage exactly, you are actually using REC709 colour space with a LogC gamma curve.

Anyway really nice footage! Really still amazed how filmic this camera can look
    Thank you! Yeah I did not follow the tutorial exactly, now that I watch it again. I also transformed into Alexa color, which worked for my purposes really well, then graded through one of DaVinci's built in film print looks.