Thread: BMPCC4K handheld rigging idea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sorry for the off topic question .......... but are you able to fit the camera on your Movi M5 ? thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    What mini navo handrail did you place on top there? Quite interesting to see
    Updated with a part list!

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Love this. Regarding the shoulder pad itself, can you tell me where you bought it?
    It's from Lanparte, pretty nice. I was worried it might turn but it's tight enough.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    First: I suggest to get a half-cage first if you want to attach a top handle or second monitor.
    Iīve seen destroyed screwholes at the BMMCC (top and bottom) and did not trust those holes
    Second: I want to keep it lightweight. Donīt want to add to much stuff around the camera If I donīt have too.

i also searched for "chest suport rig" and only found those terrible designs. I donīt think it is a good idea to get the camera higher.
    (Keep the center of gravity down = more stable)
    I want it as flat as it gets. So I ordered some Cheese Rod and put a Arca Swiss Plate on it. Keeps the camera low.
    I tested it with my old BMMCC and old DSRL Cameras and the hight is perfect. I am pretty large so it is a good thing
    for me to keep the camera low. I can also add a larger cheese-rod and turn the handle up. So I have the handle from
    the camera and a left handle at the same height. I suggest to get a second handle. Unless you have the second hand
    on the lens. With a second handel you have "3 point contact" to the camera.

Attachment 26734

Attachment 26735
    Agreed, I wouldn't want to raise it. For me, the camera is light enough that I don't need handles (although the 3rd contact point is nice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antonescu View Post
    + 1,000,000.
    Soon

Quote Originally Posted by aplus View Post
    sorry for the off topic question .......... but are you able to fit the camera on your Movi M5 ? thanks in advance
    Haven't tried, but I don't think it will fit.. The original BMCC was already too wide!

These systems are totally bogus, as you can't stabilize the footage. There is a big difference between shoulder mount for camera and something resting on your chest. Breathing will cause inability to properly stabilize the footage.

Well. You can press that thing above your chest... more against your shoulder. And I got very similar loocking shots with a chest-rig.
    A lot of people can build a "dummy-chest rig" themselfes and just do some testshots walking around a chair. First with a chest rig, than with a shoulder rig.
    And also "two handle rig" _(handheld). It makes a different if you are using wide angle or 35mm, 50mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    These systems are totally bogus, as you can't stabilize the footage. There is a big difference between shoulder mount for camera and something resting on your chest. Breathing will cause inability to properly stabilize the footage.
    well, being 6'4" and not wanting to be in a football crouch the entire time while shooting off the sticks, I don't shoot anything off the shoulder. I use either a 2 handed "man-cam" style rig or a chest support.

Thanks for the part list Hugo!
    I see it is normally attached with 2 screws, do you feel one screw is holding the handle and the camera tight enough so it wont drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I plan on using the ultra-low-budget version of this with my p4k: the magicrig

Looks like balancing an egg on a stick

The weight (or rather the lack of it) becomes a handicap, when you shoot without a tripod/gimbal.
    Unless you plan to shoot BlairWitch 4, you need a solid support. Like with all DSLR style cameras, the problem is the monitor in the back.
    You ether need a second monitor, if you want shoulder shooting, or you move the camera way in front of your rig, so you can see the monitor.
    That's asking for unstable, shaky shot with micro jitter, unless you counter it with weights on the back - at this time the "pocket" form factor is already out of the window,
    and you could have used an Ursa in the first place.

If you absolutely want/need shoulder shooting, make yourself a lowrider-shouldercat style rig, where the balance point is above the camera, and let gravity do most of the work.

I did this with the BMCCs and it works pretty well. IMHO the only chance to get halfway decent footage out of a DSLR style body, without a tripod or gimbal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Looks like balancing an egg on a stick

The weight (or rather the lack of it) becomes a handicap, when you shoot without a tripod/gimbal.
    Unless you plan to shoot BlairWitch 4, you need a solid support. Like with all DSLR style cameras, the problem is the monitor in the back.
    You ether need a second monitor, if you want shoulder shooting, or you move the camera way in front of your rig, so you can see the monitor.
    That's asking for unstable, shaky shot with micro jitter, unless you counter it with weights on the back - at this time the "pocket" form factor is already out of the window,
    and you could have used an Ursa in the first place.

If you absolutely want/need shoulder shooting, make yourself a lowrider-shouldercat style rig, where the balance point is above the camera, and let gravity do most of the work.

I did this with the BMCCs and it works pretty well. IMHO the only chance to get halfway decent footage out of a DSLR style body, without a tripod or gimbal.
    It does look not professional though , I would invest in a zacuto or something similar though. As you tend not to get taken seriously with these cheap setups. And sometimes impressions on a shoot is half the work.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    It does look not professional though , I would invest in a zacuto or something similar though. As you tend not to get taken seriously with these cheap setups. And sometimes impressions on a shoot is half the work.
    agreed. I pull out a rigged up micro to please the client though I prefer to shoot with just a bare micro and a monitor on top which looks like a toy

I don't have clients that worry about how professional my kit looks. I've been happily shooting with an RX100 IV for the last two years, and I actually like it when I work with somebody new that has seen my previous stuff but hasn't seen me shooting and they see me bring THAT out of my bag. I tell them it's good enough and I shoot all my stuff with that and it makes me look like a superhero, not just somebody with fancy equipment.

Then again, I know the magicrig has huge limitations, but it's not the first time I use it. I know I can shoot nice over-the-shoulder stationary shots at 100mm and they'll have some floating motion that makes it feel handheld but it's subtle and not distracting. If I walk it all falls down to pieces but I'll use a gimbal if I'm going to move my feet during the shot.

I'd love to have a true shoulder rig that's balanced (i.e. one that stays put if I take both hands off) but that requires cables and a screen and counterweights and whatnot. As long as I have something massively lighter and smaller, I'd take that big thing out of my home once a year or less.

(yes, I know my needs and tastes are not the general norm here)