Thread: Matte Box or Step up rings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Matte Box or Step up rings? 
    I’m finally slowly piecing together the new gear for when the BMPCC4K arrives.
    I have a Tamron 24-70 (82mm), a 24mm prime (55mm) and plan to get something wider such as a Sigma 18-35mm (72mm)

I plan to get diffusion filters (for the modern lenses), ND filters and IR cut.

I have thought of a couple options:

One IR cut, one diffusion and either variable ND or a kit of ND filters at 82mm, and step up rings on the lenses with smaller diameter. This would require moving it around from lens to lens.

Use a Mattebox with two filter slots. One for diffusion, the other for ND. IR cut per lens (or alternatively step up rings)

If I go the Mattebox route I have thought of the Fotga DP500 III as it fits my budget (I’m not a full time pro photographer), unless you have other suggestions. I wouldn’t mind something a tad smaller if it exists and still have two filter slots.

I will get 8Sinn rods support to fit a follow focus on it regardless.

Thoughts and feedback? Options?
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 09-09-2018 at 03:45 AM.

That FOTGA box is big and cumbersome. But smaller better boxes are very expensive.
    Also, the larger filters are also more expensive.

I have both setups - step up rings and screw-on filters, and also a matte box. The matte box setup is not any faster nor easier to change lenses with because there is always the extra step of fitting the box to the lens.
    So moving the screw-on filters when you change lenses is generally not slower at all.

The cheaper path is buying step-up filter and lens cap for every lens. And add a large rubber lens hood to the front of your stack to block stray light. Quick and easy, and works fine with or without rails.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

That's an awesome tip, thanks a lot Stewart!
    Never knew there was such a thing as lens hoods like that.

Yes, I use Matte Box adapter rings, same as a step up, but much better build and they take a clamp on matte box, offering additional lens support. But the rings in different combos become a lens hood of sorts also, Cavision makes quite a few differ t combo sizes that can be used together. Another Matte Box option is the Misfit Atom W/A box, got mine on sale almost half price. Cavision also makes a 80mm clamp on shade, that will take 82mm filters. Pair this with the Cavision matte box rings and you are set.
    Cheers

instead of screw on filters.. there are also magnetic filter options available if you want to switch faster
    But I go wih rings because I want to keep the setup light. C-Fast, Rings, half-cage. LP-E6 Battery. Maybe a second monitor.

I almost always have the mattebox on, but I usually don't use donuts or knickers, I have a combo of IR and variND on the lens, and a foldable (3 steps) rubber sunshade. If you push the rubberhood against the filter, it's totally fine.
    To be honest, I use the mattebox, mostly as a big sunshade, filters only, when I need a grad ND, pola, or diffusion.

Yes it's big and heavy, but I almost never do handheld/shoulder work, so I can't care less about the weight and size.

Here is a picture of my typical setup (without the rubber hood though)

41151290_2052559525054967_7879983945444491264_o.jpg

Nice, thanks guys

I have ordered a few items on eBay today - collecting little pieces here and there until the Pocket arrives.

I found a 3-step foldable rubber hood, but just as I was about to pay for it I noticed a note in the description. It said it wouldn't do well with a 24-70mm lens. I can only assume it would be visible when used at 24mm ?
    This is the one. Thoughts? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-82mm-Co...a/141258957546

I wonder if you have any idea what I could use to cover up the front of if? It doesn't say anything about diameter on the front, and English isn't my first language so I don't know what to search for.

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    Nice, thanks guys

I found a 3-step foldable rubber hood, but just as I was about to pay for it I noticed a note in the description. It said it wouldn't do well with a 24-70mm lens. I can only assume it would be visible when used at 24mm ?
    This is the one. Thoughts? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-82mm-Co...a/141258957546
    Works for me, since BM cameras aren't full frame.

What do you mean "cover the front"? A typical lens hood still works, just needs to be the same diameter (82mm)

Faith stopped by and showed me this just randomly on my instagram feed.

https://kuvrdcamera.com/

What I mean Frank, is by the looks of it, the rubber lens hood is 82mm at the base, but expands at the front, thus is not 82mm. Or does it just look that way?