Thread: Wondering if my Cheesegrater continue to work well with 4K footage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    i work in 4k mainly, front line machine is a z820, 2x 2697v2's, 2x 1080Ti, 128g sys ram, SAS raid, 64Tb spinning disks, Decklink 4k pro
    that works well in client attended sessions

i have a machine similar to the cheesegrater, a z800, 2x 5690's, 1x 1080, 96g sys ram, SAS raid, 16Tb spinning disks, Decklink 4k pro
    it struggles at 4k, but will run ProRez/DNx/MXF sources without alot of OFX, need to use cacheing there, frustrating with R3d or ArriRaw sources

all machines have mirrored SSD's for the boot drive, cheap insurance for when (not if) the SSD croaks without warning
    Thanks Dermot. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Pretty sure I can run ProRes without to much sluggishness. It sure would be nice to just use RAW or RAW 3:1 in my case. It's kind of the point.

i'm plenty fine in the z800 at hd, and it's almost the same spec's as your 5.1
    maybe consider working with an hd raster project, then re-set project to UHD for renders (and pray it actualy will render without gpu errors)

the z800 is far slower to render anything, but in HD, from the driver's seat there's not much diffrence between the two machines, i spent Friday finishing a MoW producer's in the suite all day, no one had any idea i was driveing a z800 and not the z820, no one cared as the session just rolled along
    Last edited by dermot shane; 09-08-2018 at 09:48 PM.

We have rendered in UHD with our Titan-X in the Cheesegrater. No errors. I think that problem is normally caused by the D700 in the Trashcan, by insufficient power supply or by underpowered GPUs.

Marshall, I often work with 4K footage. I also just finished an 8K project for a video wall...

My cheesegrater does it (slowly) without complaining too much. Like Nomad mentioned, I don't get any errors when outputting... it just takes some time to render, and it takes a whole lot of courage and patience to edit
    I do sometimes see errors while editing that the GPU memory is full, but a DaVinci restart always fixes this. Which I find bizar... sometimes DR complains, sometimes not..

I'll mention that DaVinci's cache behaviour and I don't get along as I've mentioned on the Blackmagic forum https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...p?f=21&t=78644

The whole cache system in DaVinci needs to be thorougly looked at imho.
    As I've said before, in FCPx, my aging Mac Pro flies with the same footage and project settings, where DR struggles and falls to it's knees.

I'm personally waiting for the 2019 Mac Pro announcement because at this moment, only the iMac Pro's perform better than my aging Mac Pro, and not by a whole lot.
    The regular iMac's are priced more reasonably, but I would then put my 1080ti into a eGPU box. The rest of the iMac would not perform as good as my current 2010 Mac Pro. (maybe memory bandwidth and SSD speed would be better, but not CPU performance...)

I'm also discretely looking at the dark side... but I dislike the Windows environment too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
    Marshall, I often work with 4K footage. I also just finished an 8K project for a video wall...

I'm also discretely looking at the dark side... but I dislike the Windows environment too much.
    And you'll dislike Windows 10 even more. I've stayed firmly at Window's 7 but Microsoft is making it harder and harder to do that.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    And you'll dislike Windows 10 even more. I've stayed firmly at Window's 7 but Microsoft is making it harder and harder to do that.
    Uh... Windows 10 is great. Especially compared to 7. You're also sacrificing quite a bit of performance and space to stay with 7. What don't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We have rendered in UHD with our Titan-X in the Cheesegrater. No errors. I think that problem is normally caused by the D700 in the Trashcan, by insufficient power supply or by underpowered GPUs.
    Thanks for your comments Nomad. A couple questions? Did your Titan X get flashed by Macvidcards? Did you have to upgrade the power supply to add the Titan X?

Neither. So we don't get a startup screen, but if we need to fix graphic drivers after system updates, we use remote login.

But the power supply is working at it's limit, so I wouldn't add a Red Rocket card or something similar (we moved that into an external box with it's own power).
    We also use external RAIDs connected by eSATA cards, so the box is not stuffed with internal hard disks, which might push the envelope for power. There is only one small SSD for system and one large for cache.

Since we upgraded about two years ago, those two machines have been very reliable workhorses for massive Red projects and Cinema4D animations. Yes, not as fast as modern PC hardware, but hey, it's a Mac!
    There must be a reason why students are regularly crowding for access time on those while some good PCs are idling…

Does BMRAW breath more life into my cheesegrater... inquiring minds at work.

Quote Originally Posted by RyLo View Post
    Uh... Windows 10 is great. Especially compared to 7. You're also sacrificing quite a bit of performance and space to stay with 7. What don't you like about it?
    By far the biggest issue with staying with older versions of Windows is that is a security nightmare. I wouldn't keep such a machine connected to the internet; that's just asking for catastrophe.