Thread: Wondering if my Cheesegrater continue to work well with 4K footage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Wondering if my Cheesegrater continue to work well with 4K footage 
    I've had this beast since the day it came out. I know that it's not a PC. For various reasons I'm staying with Mac at least for now and I honestly don't have time for a Hack.

That being said I've got an original 12-core. It's got 48 GB of RAM and a NIVDIA GTX 770 from Macvidcards for GPU. While there are 4 JBOD drives onboard. I've set up with my Raid on eSATA as well as another few other JBOD's. Also I pretty much always shoot RAW with the BMCC, Pocket, and Micro. When I'm working with these files in Resolve and I add NR it slows down. I generally only apply the things that slow down just before render.

I'm wondering which way to head. A new system or try to hang on for a little longer.

My GPU needs a boost. More RAM is always good. It would be nice to have cooling. Data transfer rates would be far greater with Thunderbolt 3 no doubt. The Raid is currently spinning at around 660 MB/s but only have 6 discs totaling 18TB of disc, which I've always tried to keep under 50% full when possible at least for the Raid. Assuming I'll need more space with 4K and more speed.

Short of a PC or a Hack how are those of you shooting UMP solving the problem or what are you planning as you upgrade?

Take a look at:
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...or-buy-new-one

Itz is about PC.. but NVIDIA brings out some new cards on September and November.
    More RAM is allways good. Check your motherboard if you can upgrade.
    But a 12 core (i7 - I asume) and your card and ram are just fine.
    NR allways takes a lot of power. I never use it. Unless I have, too.

Also think about getting some 1TB SSD. Internal SSDs are pretty cheap now.
    You can also google "Recomended Hardware for Resolve" and check the PDF by Blackmagic...
    and search for "Workstation" Setup. I am not sure if NR is faster if you upgrade with GPU and RAM,
    because I am not a tech expert and I donīt use NR.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Take a look at:
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...or-buy-new-one

Itz is about PC.. but NVIDIA brings out some new cards on September and November.
    More RAM is allways good. Check your motherboard if you can upgrade.
    But a 12 core (i7 - I asume) and your card and ram are just fine.
    NR allways takes a lot of power. I never use it. Unless I have, too.

Also think about getting some 1TB SSD. Internal SSDs are pretty cheap now.
    You can also google "Recomended Hardware for Resolve" and check the PDF by Blackmagic...
    and search for "Workstation" Setup. I am not sure if NR is faster if you upgrade with GPU and RAM,
    because I am not a tech expert and I donīt use NR.
    I've got a couple of SSD's in my cheesegrater now. Like DP said on another thread, one is system, the other scratch or cache depending on software.

I'm just wondering if this system will work at all.

"wondering if this system work at all" ??

Youīve got 12 Core CPU, 48 GB ram, fast GPU.
    Even with 4 core CPU, 16 or 32 GB and a 4g GPU the system would be fine. Dpends what your are doing.
    As I wrote before. NR allways takes much power. No matter how much ram, no matter which GPU.

You can also download pocket 4k ProRes files and RAW files from Blackmagic Website and see if its work.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...camera/gallery

@S_Berger, I think you are misinterpreting the OP's system.

He has an original cheesegrater, which is (if my memory is correct) the Mac Pro released back in 2008.
    You assume falsly that it has i7 processors, they did not exist back then... Mac Pro's as far as I know always had Xeon processors.

@Marshall, I have a 2010 Mac Pro, 12 core, 32Gb ram, 1080ti GPU.
    The largest bottleneck in these machines are the sata ports, to which you connect your drives (either the 4 removable bays, or the ones on top where the superdrive is located).

The way I have tried to solve this is to use a PCIe card onto which you can attach 2 SSD's :
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossdproplus.html

I have the SSD's configured as RAID0 with Disk Utility (Apple software raid), to get faster read and write speeds.

For a system drive I use a Kingston PCIe SSD drive :
    https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/consumer/shpm2280p2

With these cards I can avoid the onboard sata ports for crucial work.
    I do use the onboard sata ports for slow magnetic harddrives as storage or backup... but not for editing.

Having said that. My GPU is much more capable than your card, but I have to say that realtime 4K is just not possible in Davinci. For every little change, I need to render.... and sadly, the smart cache in Resolve is not very smart at all.
    So 4K is an aggrevating experience.

Strangely, FCPx just flies with the same setup. But everybody knows that Davinci is much more demanding on hardware.
    Even so, this system is 8 years old. Today the only machines that are more capable according benchmarks are the overpriced iMac Pro's. Even the top of the line iMac (non pro) is not as performant as my aging Mac Pro...

Ah. Ok. I see. I do not get the "cheesegrater" part. Did not realize that machine is around 8 years old?!
    I am not googling it but maybe it is some "DDR3 RAM 1333 Mhz".
    My advice: If your PC is 8 years old... get a new one.

Donīt buy super expensive Mac or PC because in 2-4 years prices will drop so you can
    save the money and buy a much faster PC again, for 20% of the price you have paid 2 years ago.
    Not only Ram, CPU, GPU changes, also USB3.0, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt, SSD Parts, etc.
    My advice is: Donīt spend more money into an old machine. Get a new one.

Actually, I'm familiar with both two upgraded 'Cheesegraters' (12 core XEONs, Titan-X, SSDs) at work and the best non-Pro iMac with the Radeon Pro 580. That iMac is nearly as fast as the cheesegrater CPU-wise, but the Titan-X is still a bit ahead. Both can handle UHD in ProRes without difficulties.
    The iMac has an advantage with realtime decoding if you have H.264 or H.265, but the camera in question is the BMPCC4K. It could be that you don't get enough data throughput for uncompressed RAW, but ProRes would be no problem. Maybe even compressed RAW.

We use those trusty boxes with R3D footage all day long…

Give it a try! If you don't find enough BMPCC4K footage, get some from the BMP46, it is even more demanding.

You guys are getting the picture and making some really good suggestions. Thanks.

Mine is the original 12-core and I've upgraded pretty much everything in some cases a few times.

PeterF you're hitting the issues straight on. I concerned that as I move to 4K and higher the higher capacity needs of the increased data will make editing… to slow.

I know that my GPU is 3-4 years old and I'd benefit from an upgrade.

Just wondering from those of you who are working 4K and above how you're doing it?

We actually still cut in Premiere. We ingest Resolve set an initial grade then depending on the size of the project output ProRes as a proxie. I've not had good luck round-tripping ever. I think it because I sync audio with waveform. That will change as I add an audio recorder that includes time-code. In any case my work around is to just identify the files I want to change then make the adjustments and render a second clip with the same file name. Premiere never knows it happened.

So essentially we're cutting ProRes.

But I'm really concerned with the bigger files and have a couple of large projects coming up.

So for those of you cutting 4K all day long how are you doing it? I keep hearing that people are happily working with laptops with GPU expansion boxes and T3 drives that move the data 4 times faster than my 660 MB/s setup. Or is everything just proxie and it really doesn't matter?

Not a 4k Editor... but this is my current PC hardware:

- Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake 4 x 3,4-4 GHz, Quad-Core)
    - 8192 MB DDR4-SDRAM PC-2133
    - MSI H110M Pro-D Mainboard
    - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4096 MB GDDR5
    - SSD 250
    - 7200 RPM SATA Drives

... and I downloaded Pocket 4k ProRes HQ files vom Blackmagic.
    And if I put those files into a 1080p timeline I donīt have to use proxy or prerendering.
    I can work in realtime with a 4k file in this timeline.... with no stuttering.

If I have to edit 4k on a laptop i would just check my current specs. And edit in 1080p.
    And for rendering switch to a faster PC or switch to 4k.

So keep in mind if you want to Master it also in 4k, or if you master it in 2k (1080p)
    In 2k ... my current hardware is just fine. And it is just a GTC 960 and 8 GB Ram.

I am not a tech expert but I donīt think upgrading to more RAM and better GPU will do the trick.
    I donīt know anyhting about the CPU and Apple hardware. But every component have to work
    together and can slow each other down.

i work in 4k mainly, front line machine is a z820, 2x 2697v2's, 2x 1080Ti, 128g sys ram, SAS raid, 64Tb spinning disks, Decklink 4k pro
    that works well in client attended sessions

i have a machine similar to the cheesegrater, a z800, 2x 5690's, 1x 1080, 96g sys ram, SAS raid, 16Tb spinning disks, Decklink 4k pro
    it struggles at 4k, but will run ProRez/DNx/MXF sources without alot of OFX, need to use cacheing there, frustrating with R3d or ArriRaw sources

all machines have mirrored SSD's for the boot drive, cheap insurance for when (not if) the SSD croaks without warning