Thread: Speedbooster Differences?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Speedbooster Differences? 
    Hey folks,

I wondered if anyone could explain to me the differences between the Ultra and Ultra II Speedbooster models that are on the market currently? I get that the Ultra line has a different optical design from the previous ones, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the differences are between the Ultra and the Ultra II. Is it just the fact that there's a light on the Ultra II and not on the Ultra? Is AF performance different? I'm asking because I don't need AF performance but I do want the best optical performance, obviously. But I'm not willing to spend 200 euros more on the II version for features I don't use. Thanks!

Can you copy the SPECS from the exact Ultra 1 and Ultra 2 you are talking about and post it here.
    You can also check Viltrox Speedbooster for 200 Bucks. I saw some videos where the Viltrox is even
    better than the one by metabone. (But I hope to see more side by side tests between Viltrox and the 0.71 Metabones in the future
    twith the Pocket 4k)

Thanks for the answer! I actually had my eyes on the Viltrox as well and plan to buy both it and the Ultra, to do some side-by-side testing. I'll post the results here by then!

You might want to hold off buying Metabones SB for your P4K untill there is an announcement of a dedicated SB for this camera.

Good advice, that is what I am doing.
    Cheers

Why would they bring out a different speedbooster?

On previous BM cameras, the sensor stack was considerably thinner, effecting the lens back focus when used on the MFT Speed Booster designed for the thicker MFT sensor stack. Differences were minor, and in,y became an issue with fas wide angle lenses or zooms like the Sigma 18-35. Also, since the original BMCC and Pocket were much smaller sensors, the camera specific SB could add further focus expansion to het better use of the lens optics.

Since the new PC4K is a full MFT size sensor (unlike the GH4/5 which the s hitting the S35 AOV sweet spot, so no change needed there. Only other possible issue is going to be the sensor stack, which we will have to wait and see if this is an actual issue. So far with the limited tests, it does not appear to be.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    On previous BM cameras, the sensor stack was considerably thinner, effecting the lens back focus when used on the MFT Speed Booster designed for the thicker MFT sensor stack. Differences were minor, and in,y became an issue with fas wide angle lenses or zooms like the Sigma 18-35. Also, since the original BMCC and Pocket were much smaller sensors, the camera specific SB could add further focus expansion to het better use of the lens optics.

Since the new PC4K is a full MFT size sensor (unlike the GH4/5 which the s hitting the S35 AOV sweet spot, so no change needed there. Only other possible issue is going to be the sensor stack, which we will have to wait and see if this is an actual issue. So far with the limited tests, it does not appear to be.
    Cheers
    What?!

The issue has nothing to do with "back focus". The issue is aberrations.

Thanks but I will wait for the final word from Metabones.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    What?!

The issue has nothing to do with "back focus". The issue is aberrations.

Thanks but I will wait for the final word from Metabones.
    You can wait for the final word or read this collection of words from a few years ago. Filter stack thickness matters significantly if you're using fast, wide, or zoom lenses.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...dapted-lenses/

Yeah I alreayd bought the XL speedbooster (test shows it works), but still waiting on the camera