Thread: New Meike MK T2.2 MFT cinema lenses on Amazon

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have the 25mm Veydra and this looks exactly like it. I would not support this kind of cloning if it is the case. Especially now that Veydra has said that they are coming back.

Couldn't it be the same manufacturer?

Meike is not the only one cloning. 7Artisans and a few more brands are coming out with similar products. It may be coming from a single manufacturing source, probably the same source that Veydra may have contracted.

Whatever the background of this is, if the optics are also cloned from Veydra and Veydra has not sold the rights to their design, it´s not something I would support.

Explains supply chain issues. Not much Veydra can do about it, sadly. China does not recognize copyright or IP rights. They could go after dealers if any, but if they drop ship direct from China via Amazon or eBay there is no hope. Recognize that Veydra is a small company without much financial clout, already hurting from the warehouse theft. They may have made a deal with the devil to stay afloat. For those that can afford the premium the originals should be calibrated with better focus marks, and may have overall better quality control with third shift units having imperfections. I'm not jumping on this, wait and see if the rest of the set shows up, but for me Veydra will remain way beyond my price point for quite some time, this is certainly very tempting.

Just to speculate in general:

Do Amazon and eBay respect copyright and IP if they are made aware of a stolen design? If they refuse to sell such a product, it would cut the damage to minimum.

No point in speculating without a statement from Veydra. I recently had a lighting seminar with the founder of Dedolight, and he acknowledged that there is nothing he can do about the Chinese clones of his designs, and even stated that they are really good. The difference is that the originals are built in Germany and the led emitters are tested for uniformity. with lights any of us that use knock offs know to expect some compromise, may need to tighten screws or change cables. Lenses are tricky if they are built on the same production line then they are in fact the same product, some would pay a premium for accurate focus marks, others won't care if it works well. Being only one focal length for now, it is likely a reverse engineered clone, and those clones will be sold under the various brands that have been doing mirrorless manual lenses, it was announced back in February and just coming to market now, so if there were legal issues they should have been resolved, not my place to say.

Well whatever it is, I hope Veydras design is safe. Being a designer myself it's a matter of principle for me. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Meike is not the only one cloning. 7Artisans and a few more brands are coming out with similar products. It may be coming from a single manufacturing source, probably the same source that Veydra may have contracted.
    Veydra lenses are made by the co-designer, they are not outsourced to a third party. Ryan and his partner have complete control over the manufacturing.
    Cheers

I'm going to photokina next month, I will see if I can do a test with the 25mm Meike.