Thread: New Meike MK T2.2 MFT cinema lenses on Amazon

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Ryan' statement is in the form of a 1 star review on the product page for the 25mm on Amazon . Scroll down to bottom, there are multiple listings and only attached to this one which kind of sucks for spreading the word.

https://www.amazon.com/Meike-Manual-...r=8-2-fkmrnull

As sucky as it is ...what are people to do? Alot of people would love to support them and purchase the lenses...however they aren't producing them anymore and they have been basically non existent on communication as to if or when they will start to produce them. So customers are left in limbo. People will just start getting it where they can which is unfortunate but is the reality.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I'm not passing judgement and I'll probably end up with a set if they release them all, the actual user reviews are very positive. I'm sure there are some build quality differences compared to the real thing, but nothing that I would likely notice. Just passing on info that I found as some users here were adamant that they would not use them if confirmed stolen designs. Who know the exact situation, maybe the Chinese supplier was building all the components for final assembly at Veydra but were left holding the bag when finances went bad, this is stuff we will never know. They for sure appear to be a significant improvement over the little pancake lenses that were likely based on machine vision designs.

I genuinely feel bad for Veydra, they had an innovative product but not a big enough potential user base. If I had been more cash flush when they first came out I would have had a set. But it became harder to justify without professional cameras supporting the MFT format. As good as it is the P4k will never be more than a personal camera, or b-roll inserts on bigger productions, will likely use adapters to take whatever lenses are on the A cam for better matching. If they were available, and I could afford them, I'm not sure I would get them at this point, I'd probably stretch my budget to xeens to future proof for full frame sensors .

Re: the Veydra thing, if Ryan is stating that the Chinese manufacturer has infringed his patents it's one thing but If you vacate the field of battle then you risk the enemy occupying it.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

I’ll start this off by saying that Ryan is a friend of mine. Additionally I’ve worked with him many times now as both a customer and a vendor. I’ve found it hard to see his name bashed around. He has by no means vacated the field… he simply cannot speak about what’s happening. At some point it’s possible that the true story will be told. Time will tell. I can tell you that it’s not been a pleasant experience for him.

I’m sure that those of you who know him will tell you that at the end of the day he’s all about making you better at your craft. His knowledge of optics is nothing short of amazing. I’ve watched him contribute to all sorts of peoples work. He’s an advocate of better footage and sits in an interesting position to help each and every one of us.

Sadly at this point it appears that holding your breath for Veydra’s return may not be your best option. I guess it’s up to you to judge the ethics of other manufacturers who are making what appear to be identical products. I for one know how I feel about them.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrington; 05-01-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks Marshall for speaking up. I may not know Ryan as well a you, but I have had a number of conversations with him when he was starting up Veydra, and was a supporter of that enterprise. I knew him when he was sales rep also, as I was working in Pro Camera sales at that time.
    He is a very hard worker and contributor to our craft. I hope all turns out well for him, and eventually we will all know the actual story.

Meanwhile, I too know where I stand concerning the recent copies appearing on the market. Their was an old live steam locomotive sheltered away in the woods on private property near where I live now. A Railroading enthusiast (foamier) happened across it while hiking in the woods. It was in a small closed shed, the tracks had small trees growing between the rails. He took it upon himself to push the loc out of the shed, and started removing the brass bits from the engine, to help “preserve” it. He actually did more damage than good. To my thinking, he was a thief in the night, ripping off parts from a machine he did not own, on property that was not his. Just because something looks abandoned, does not mean you can “steal” it or it’s designs. The same applies Ryan’s Veydra lens designs, they are still his property.

So, until it is established who design Meike is actually using and their legal right to it, I will not be buying these lenses. I do not support the theft of intellectual or actual property or anyone.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 04-30-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Notwithstanding some "interesting" interpretations as to what constitutes legitimate and internationally defendable IPR, if Ryan has a claim to IP then hopefully there will be justice. But if the Veydra designs cannot be protected due to fact that they are, for example derivative, then obviously Meike are free to market a cheaper, if arguably inferior product, unencumbered. The market can decide if the offer is acceptable. If IP cannot be definitively established then being first to market becomes a potentially assailable competitive position.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

I had a similar conversation with Dedo Weigart of Dedolight, he acknowledges the Chinese clones of his focusing spot lights and knows there is nothing he can do but put out a superior product. The Chinese do not recognize IP rights, and they will always make stuff that is just slightly different, just like library music that is one note different from the popular tune. A no budget weekend warrior can get a long way on the clones, maybe even make some money to put toward the real deal, but a broadcast or documentary crew needs the peace of mind of an established player that has their back if something goes down. If Veydra was able to deliver, they could probably hold the position of superior product for professional users as the P4k finds its way onto bigger productions as b-roll and whatnot and want to rig it with smaller lenses.

I can pretty much guarantee that the weekend warrior type that might buy a Chinese cine lens from Amazon or eBay was never truly in the market for Veydra, if they even heard of them, these ones are already at the high end of what that market will bear price wise.

Ryan was robbed both physically and intellectually...damn, the life on this man.

I made a review on the 16mm T2.2 lens that Meike has out.

https://youtu.be/swHkerVvXGo

I have started selling these lenses directly because I like them so much. I was told the 12mm and 35mm will be released around the June/July time frame.
    Panasonic GH4, Sony FS100 and soon the BMPCC4K!
    Small set of MMJ Contax Zeiss prime lenses
    Set of Canon FD SSC lenses
    Small set of Russian prime lenses