Thread: Rawlite UMP OLPF.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Hell yeah. Can't wait to install it.
    John, do you add .45mm shim on top of the .20,.10,.10 shims for PL mount? RAWlite were out of shims but I have some spares from the UM PL adapter.
    I’m not sure. I had Panavision Chicago re-shim my cameras after i installed them. I didn’t do the work.

    JB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I’ve been using them for a while.

    They are very subtle and have less of a visual impact on resolution than I was expecting. I think the biggest difference is for IR. When working with Tungsten lighting (real Tungsten not led) on a UMP and with Gen 4 colour the OLPF / IR in concert make a big difference.

    JB
    If you've used the original on the bmcc or bmpcc how would you say they compare to the UMP olpf? Is it worth getting for the bmpcc or is the drop in resolution too much for HD?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    If you've used the original on the bmcc or bmpcc how would you say they compare to the UMP olpf? Is it worth getting for the bmpcc or is the drop in resolution too much for HD?
    I’m not sure I understand your question.

    I’ve tested OLPFs from a few manufactures on most of the cameras.

    I like this one for the UMP a lot, in combination with gen 4.

    JB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Puget Sound
    Posts
    3,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    If you've used the original on the bmcc or bmpcc how would you say they compare to the UMP olpf? Is it worth getting for the bmpcc or is the drop in resolution too much for HD?
    I've watched the evolution pretty closely.
    The first OLPFs for the BMCC and PMPCC are in about their third generation (roughly) and they improved each time. The latest improvement being the addition of IR filtration on both the Mosaic and the RawLight.
    On the 1080p cameras the hit in sharpness is something that has to be considered in your decision, but to my eye the RawLight retains a little more sharpness than the Mosaic does.

    On the 4k UMP the loss of sharpness will be almost negligible, especially considering that many people are using various softening methods already - Vintage lenses, diffusion and softening filters, etc,..
    I'd say that the RawLight on the UMP is almost a no-brainer.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I’m not sure I understand your question.

    I’ve tested OLPFs from a few manufactures on most of the cameras.

    I like this one for the UMP a lot, in combination with gen 4.

    JB
    In terms of you having tested the bmpcc Rawlite did you find it impact the image too much?

    Have you tried it while shooting windowed raw on the UMP as the resolution is lower?
    ____

    Yeah I think youre right in that sense Stewart.

    I'm interested to see the one he makes for the pocket 4k but an additional cost pumps up the price even more the GH5 territory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    In terms of you having tested the bmpcc Rawlite did you find it impact the image too much?

    Have you tried it while shooting windowed raw on the UMP as the resolution is lower?
    ____

    Yeah I think youre right in that sense Stewart.

    I'm interested to see the one he makes for the pocket 4k but an additional cost pumps up the price even more the GH5 territory.
    Never used Rawlite with a pocket.

    JB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,060
    So you keep it in the camera all the time, or are there any situations where it has disadvantages?

    For example: since it's IR filtering is a hot mirror, might one get reflections if the rear lens is flat or near flat?
    I know that they have coating, but I've seen that problem with older OLPFs for Red cameras and some vintage glass.
    When a strong source of IR was in the frame, there were repetitive patterns of red dots – nomen est omen ;-)

    After all, one would put a hot mirror in a matte box in front of all others for that very reason.

    Thanks for posting all those great examples!
    Last edited by Nomad; 08-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    So you keep it in the camera all the time, or are there any situations where it has disadvantages?

    For example: since it's IR filtering is a hot mirror, might one get reflections if the rear lens is flat or near flat?
    I know that they have coating, but I've seen that problem with older OLPFs for Red cameras and some vintage glass.
    When a strong source of IR was in the frame, there were repetitive patterns of red dots – nomen est omen ;-)

    After all, one would put a hot mirror in a matte box in front of all others for that very reason.

    Thanks for posting all those great examples!
    There were some issues with certain focal lengths in certain situations where some odd things could be made to happen but they seem to have been minimised now. I haven’t seen them come back.

    It wouldn’t be fair to post those images as they don’t happen now.

    So far I haven’t been bitten by anything but it’s only been a few weeks with the finished / final version. And no, never saw the signature RED OLPF filter reflections. I think with them it’s because of the distance the choose to have their filter stack from the sensor.

    JB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,060
    Thank you for the very detailed and helpful answer, John!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    641
    Hey John, do you find that IR on the olpf to be any more effective than other IRs out there? Because if the low pass filtration is so subtle, it feels like it's a very expensive IR cut filter. Also, do you know if there will be one for the regular UM 4.6k?

    Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Rawlite Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera BMMCC OLPF
    By ericsanpablo in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2018, 07:50 PM
  2. Rawlite or Mosaic V2 OLPF for BMMCC?
    By sebipayne in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 08:38 PM
  3. Pocket Camera Kit - Wooden Camera, Rawlite OLPF, PL Mount (Broken HDMI)
    By PeopleCanFly in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 04:39 PM
  4. Rawlite OLPF or Hoya IR Cut Filter
    By Jom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2017, 10:52 PM
  5. Hugsy, shot with RAWLITE olpf in 3:1 RAW 50p
    By Maartensmeenk in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 04:07 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •