Thread: Gen 4 discussion

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Impressive!

Can't wait to get the new color science 4 finally into my UM46k

Guys, how are you using gen4 with the ursa minis? Just changing the version in the color tab? What if you're shooting in prores? Will there be a gen4 fw update for the ursa mini?

Thanks!

EDIT: sorry, I meant the Raw Tab. The easiest workflow seems to be to just go to the raw tab and choose V4, right? But from what I understand, everyone is getting better results to work in log and do the CST at the very end? So the idea would be to work in pocket 4k film timeline and transform to rec709 at the end, correct? Is this better than just choosing gen 4 on the raw tab and leave the timeline in rec709?
    Last edited by david evans; 08-11-2018 at 04:10 PM.

I have to say after working a bit with Color Science 4 it is very impressive and a massive improvement. A huge thanks to the BM team for continuing to develop and improve upon what they have already achieved. It will be fantastic when we get this update in the UMP!

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Guys, how are you using gen4 with the ursa minis? Just changing the version in the color tab? What if you're shooting in prores? Will there be a gen4 fw update for the ursa mini?

Thanks!

EDIT: sorry, I meant the Raw Tab. The easiest workflow seems to be to just go to the raw tab and choose V4, right? But from what I understand, everyone is getting better results to work in log and do the CST at the very end? So the idea would be to work in pocket 4k film timeline and transform to rec709 at the end, correct? Is this better than just choosing gen 4 on the raw tab and leave the timeline in rec709?
    Check out Lochness Digital's post here for a good summary: http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22...l=1#post251305

Wow, gen4 is so incredible. Image just looks amazing with little tweaks. Skin tones never looked so good. Really, congratulations to the whole blackmagic design team. Thank you for what you're doing for the filmmaking community. Another step forward!

Guys, just two questions:

1- this may sound dumb, but my monitor is calibrated for gamma 2.4. Changing timeline from gamma 2.4 to pocket 4k film will afect this? I mean, will the monitor display the "wrong" gamma?

2- to use gen4 with prores footage, is it necessary to do a first cst to bring the footage to pocket 4k film color space? And the do the same as one would with raw?

The easiest workflow seems to be to just go to the raw tab and choose V4, right?
    Yes.

But from what I understand, everyone is getting better results to work in log and do the CST at the very end? So the idea would be to work in pocket 4k film timeline and transform to rec709 at the end, correct? Is this better than just choosing gen 4 on the raw tab and leave the timeline in rec709?
    Personally I wouldn't bother unless you like Rec.709 more than grading from BMDFilm Gen 4 or are not that confident grading.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Thanks Hook. But is it necessary to change timeline color space if not using the CST plugin?

I'm confused. How exactly do I apply Gen 4 color science?