Thread: Gen 4 discussion

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Gen 4 discussion 
    This got split off from the other discussion, so in the interest of a new topic: Gen 4 color science is now available to check out in Resolve 15 Beta 8.

Discuss.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 08-08-2018 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Split off from another thread.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Color Science 4 is available in the latest Resolve Beta, if you're curious.
    Ah cool, however if my cameras do not have the profile. I cannot check it out right. But maybe it means that there is a ump update incoming.

You can reprocess anything in Gen 4, it looks like. However, stuff shot on cameras with V1 can only be processed V1 or V4. Cameras shot in V3 can only be processed in V3 or V4.

Edit: Removed clips. It appears my workflow was wrong so the comparisons would be doing a disservice.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 08-07-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    Aaron Lochert

Not familiar with the generation of clolour science, is it just for raw or is it in the ProRes log conversions as well. Will doing everything in v4 help with matching first generation cameras with the new ones? My production team has 2 pockets, a Bmcc a new UMPro and probably a pocket 4K soon. We will still be finishing for HD mostly, so it's nice to be able to use whatever camera best serves the shot at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    You can reprocess anything in Gen 4, it looks like. However, stuff shot on cameras with V1 can only be processed V1 or V4. Cameras shot in V3 can only be processed in V3 or V4.
    I don't have much V3 4.6K stuff on hand, though, so if someone else wants to chime in with V3 vs. V4 comparisons, feel free.
    How it works? I can not see any effect when switch between ColorScience versions in RAW settings. I use Color Managed proejct, BMDfilm input, V-Gamut/LogC timeline and Color Space Transform Node to compress to Rec709.

UPD. Seems it works only when you switch Resolve Color manage OFF in project settings

UPD2 v4 works well with UM4.6K footage but produce wired oversaturated clipped colors with Pocket/Micro footage.

Last edited by shijan; 08-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    How it works? I can not see any effect when switch between ColorScience versions in RAW settings. I use Color Managed proejct, BMDfilm input, V-Gamut/LogC timeline and Color Space Transform Node to compress to Rec709.

UPD. Seems it works only when you switch Resolve Color manage OFF in project settings
    You defined the input color already. Picking an input color space in color managed settings will disable color space settings in the RAW tab. If you bypass the input color you can mess around with Version 4.
    Aaron Lochert

Yea, simplest way is Right-Clik on the clip and Bypass input color space. But color science v4 screws BMMCC colors. Maybe they fix it in final version. Anyway i never use it. Custom made input correction with ColorChecker always looks better than build-in presets.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

UPD2 v4 works well with UM4.6K footage but produce wired oversaturated clipped colors with Pocket/Micro footage.
    What is your test setup here?
    It looks like you're using the CST plugin to go into Rec709 from whatever space the timeline is set to? What is the timeline set to?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    What is your test setup here?
    It looks like you're using the CST plugin to go into Rec709 from whatever space the timeline is set to? What is the timeline set to?
    Timeline is set to BMDfilm (BMDfilm4.6K for 4.6K footage)
    Input color space set to Bypass
    Output color space set to Bypass

Color Space Transform node added to Timeline (Timeline to Rec709 with Luma and Saturation Mapping On)

4.6K Footage with applied Color science v4 looks nice.

BMMCC/BMPCC Footage with applied Color science v4 have crazy oversaturated reds and yellowish color. Probably beta bug. Maybe move this to separate thread?

Timeline is set to BMDfilm (BMDfilm4.6K for 4.6K footage)
    This won't work with the CST plugin. In your setup it's trying to transform from Gen 1 and Gen 3, but you're actually giving it Gen 4.
    You'll need to set the timeline to BMDFilm Broadcast Film in both cases to work with the CST plugin when decoding as Gen 4 as its the only setting currently in Resolve that would be Gen 4 colour science. Then the CST plugin should behave as you expect.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**