Thread: What PC Motherboard for Resolve on an i9 CPU with m.2 SSD drives?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Similar level LGA-2066 motherboards are $150-200 more expensive than LGA-1151 socket motherboards. AMD is always cheaper, but for full speed potential needs more expensive faster memory 4000MHz. Intel can be overclocked with any memory speed. DDR4 memory prices are high, so with 64GB memory you can save $100-200 with 2400MHz memory and Intel.

I never used h264 footage in Resolve but from some tests i noticed that h264 timeline playback is hardware accelerated by intel GPU.

RAW debayer and ProRes code is CPU only. With current 4.8Ghz i7-8700k i got render speed 90-125fps from 24fps HD timeline with 3:1 compressed RAW. (one color correction node, best debayer quality, render to ProRes422HQ) 100% CPU load all cores

With new Enhanced Spatial NR node i got 7-8fps speed with RX 580 8GB GPU. 100% GPU load, almost no CPU load.

So the CPU is not a bottleneck.

I am not tested 4.6K footage samples yet because i still test new system. I remember that on my old setup (i7-2600K@4.4Ghz and AMD 7970 3GB GPU) 4.6K footage was not usable in realtime and i often got "out of GPU memory"

3D apps like Cinema 4D use 100% CPU when render images, but for that task people normally just build few additional computer boards with CPUs and combine them to small local render farm. It is way more cost effective and future proof than use ultra expensive 18 core CPUs which costs 5x, performs only 2.5x faster and will be outdated next few years with new ultra expensive 28 core CPUs and integrated graphic core for same price.
    Last edited by shijan; 08-02-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Similar level LGA-2066 motherboards are $150-200 more expensive than LGA-1151 socket motherboards. AMD is always cheaper, but for full speed potential needs more expensive faster memory 4000MHz. Intel can be overclocked with any memory speed. DDR4 memory prices are high, so with 64GB memory you can save $100-200 with 2400MHz memory and Intel.

I never used h264 footage in Resolve but from some tests i noticed that h264 timeline playback is hardware accelerated by intel GPU.

RAW debayer and ProRes code is CPU only. With current 4.8Ghz i7-8700k i got render speed 90-125fps from 24fps HD timeline with 3:1 compressed RAW. (one color correction node, best debayer quality, render to ProRes422HQ) 100% CPU load all cores

With new Enhanced Spatial NR node i got 7-8fps speed with RX 580 8GB GPU. 100% GPU load, almost no CPU load.

So the CPU is not a bottleneck.

I am not tested 4.6K footage samples yet because i still test new system. I remember that on my old setup (i7-2600K@4.4Ghz and AMD 7970 3GB GPU) 4.6K footage was not usable in realtime and i often got "out of GPU memory"

3D apps like Cinema 4D use 100% CPU when render images, but for that task people normally just build few additional computer boards with CPUs and combine them to small local render farm. It is way more cost effective and future proof than use ultra expensive 18 core CPUs which costs 5x, performs only 2.5x faster and will be outdated next few years with new ultra expensive 28 core CPUs and integrated graphic core for same price.
    Yeah, I'm realizing that an i9 CPU is really not the best choice at all. The sweet spot, as far as I can tell, is the i7-7820x. For around $450 it seems to test out on RESOLVE as the best Price-to-Performance value. Nothing wrong with moving up and future-proofing a little bit with the X299 Motherboard sets as 128gig of RAM and and future CPU upgrades will be possible without re-purchasing the main blocks of the build. With what we spend on Video Cards and our cameras and lenses, the little extra for the bigger motherboard and RAM are negligible. I'll be starting this build out with a GTX1080 or 1080ti, and I'll have room to add a second one later if desired.

The ASUS X299 TUF Mark 2 is probably what I am going to build this on. Unless something really special for our specific purposes pops up.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

From online tests i see that 8 core i7-7820x overclocked to 4.8Ghz gives you 2150 Cinebench. So it is 25% faster than 6 core i7-8700K overclocked to 4.8Ghz (1550 Cinebench)

Pros:
    - 2 full speed PCIex16 slots simultaneously
    - Faster
    - Upgradable to faster i9 CPU up to 18 core if needed

Cons:
    - $300 more for motherboard+CPU
    - No Integrated Graphics for h264 compute
    - Next generation CPUs probably will have different socket not compatible with LGA-2066
    Last edited by shijan; 08-03-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

From online tests i see that 8 core i7-7820x overclocked to 4.8Ghz gives you 2150 Cinebench. So it is 25% faster than 6 core i7-8700K overclocked to 4.8Ghz (1550 Cinebench)

Pros:
    - 2 full speed PCIex16 slots simultaneously
    - Faster
    - Upgradable to faster i9 CPU up to 18 core if needed

Cons:
    - $300 more for motherboard+CPU
    - No Integrated Graphics for h264 compute
    - Next generation CPUs probably will have different socket not compatible with LGA-2066
    Thanks for this, mate!
    You are helpful as usual.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Honestly, depending on how much you intend to dump into this system in the the future, I'd consider going with an HEDT system (Intel or AMD). New options are coming for both Intel and AMD. I'm especially looking forward to AMD's Threadripper 2, which rumors say might be announced on August 13. That and the upcoming Nvidia 1180 are so big they'd be well worth waiting for, and will be high-end for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Honestly, depending on how much you intend to dump into this system in the the future, I'd consider going with an HEDT system (Intel or AMD). New options are coming for both Intel and AMD. I'm especially looking forward to AMD's Threadripper 2, which rumors say might be announced on August 13. That and the upcoming Nvidia 1180 are so big they'd be well worth waiting for, and will be high-end for quite some time.
    The newer high-end ThreadRippers are INSANE. Really powerful. But also A LOT more money.

This build I've got going will be under $2,500.
    And it will leave me the future option of upgrading the GPU beyond the GTX1080, or adding a second one, or both. And 128gig of RAM is open also.
    This should be enough to push 4.6k RAW with FX at a pretty speedy frame rate.
    ...And I get to relax and forget about major PC rebuilds for a whole 3-4 years... maybe.

Since this topic migrated to Threadripper, here's my specs I've been rocking since October last year:

Corsair 570x RGB
    Asus x399-E Gaming
    G.Skill TridentZ RGB - 64 GB (4x16 GB) 3200 MHz
    AMD Threadripper 1950x - Water cooled with Enermax Liqtech TR4
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Water cooled with Corsair h75 AIO and NZXT G12 adapter plate
    500 GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe
    16 TB HDD RAID-0 array and raid controller
    Seasonic 750w PSU

If you decide to go threadripper, I would avoid the Enermax cooler that I have, by the way. Mine kinda exploded and leaked everywhere. They sent me a replacement, but it's a pretty widespread problem if you look at reviews. I want to build a full loop but that's gonna be another $700-$1000 that I'm gonna have to invest for little benefit over the AIO route, but way, way more fancy.

This build is for 8K RED Helium stuff, by the way.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    The newer high-end ThreadRippers are INSANE. Really powerful. But also A LOT more money.

This build I've got going will be under $2,500.
    And it will leave me the future option of upgrading the GPU beyond the GTX1080, or adding a second one, or both. And 128gig of RAM is open also.
    This should be enough to push 4.6k RAW with FX at a pretty speedy frame rate.
    ...And I get to relax and forget about major PC rebuilds for a whole 3-4 years... maybe.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8c/16t Threadripper 2 (2900x) for $449-499, but time will tell. Plus 60 PCIe lanes help a lot when adding multiple cards.

Also if you can wait and don't afraid of early versions of new hardware you can look to upcoming 5Ghz 8 core i9-9900K.

GNLBgxro7rXYIbB0-770x408.jpg

Also if you can wait and don't afraid of early versions of new hardware you can look to upcoming 5Ghz 8 core i9-9900K.

That's almost certainly going to cost way more than an equivalent core/thread-count Threadripper 2. Probably double.