Thread: Reel 2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi David,

YES. Separate reels for CORPORATE, NARRATIVE, WEDDING are pretty standard.
    But of course that's only going to help if you have some control of where its going or how people see it.
    This is one good reason to have your own website - so that you can offer categories of work for people to see ass they wish.

I have seen a few reels that had a title frame introduce "Corporate" and "Narrative" for a brief flash before those segments. They were still pretty short so I think that's another alternative, especially for times where the reel will be circulating "out there" without a chance for you to preface it for the viewer.

You do have a lot of great stuff - either way this will work out just fine with your collection of material.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Ten million extra points for Aaron for going WAY BEYOND the call of duty on his review!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Guys

I redid the reel. I also included a different song, with a completely different mood. I took most of the tips given here, except for one or two, because this business, in my country, works in a different way...

Let me know what you think (I still need to adjust a few images to the music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNAhJlXYK4

You do beautiful work David. But you have to decide before you make your reel what you want to do. If you want to DP cut all the color grading wipe transitions. If you want to color use those to your liking. If you want to Direct keep the sound in and show scenes from your films. A jack of all trades is hard to hire in this industry. Producers want to hire the best from all positions. From all these clips you have a great understanding of all these things but you should cater your reel to specific job tasks. My edit is here: A lot of the clips appear to be from the same project. Diversity goes a long way in hiring a DP or Director. Like others stated before. They need to see you can fit the look they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You do beautiful work David. But you have to decide before you make your reel what you want to do. If you want to DP cut all the color grading wipe transitions. If you want to color use those to your liking. If you want to Direct keep the sound in and show scenes from your films. A jack of all trades is hard to hire in this industry. Producers want to hire the best from all positions. From all these clips you have a great understanding of all these things but you should cater your reel to specific job tasks. My edit is here: A lot of the clips appear to be from the same project. Diversity goes a long way in hiring a DP or Director. Like others stated before. They need to see you can fit the look they want.
    Thanks Jon. That sounds like very good advice, as many others have stated. I think I'll try the different reels approach. Most of my experience has been as a director, (narrative) but, lately, I've been trying to fill in the blanks and start working as a videographer, as well, whether it's commercials, weddings, baby videos, food shows, etc. In order to start, at least in my country, I have to do it alone so I need to do it all myself. But my idea is to hire more skilled people if the business starts to grow.

So I tried to put together a few shots that look good and could be compelling and eye catching. So, next, I will do three more reels more dedicated to my directing skills, DP and color. What do you guys think?

Thanks

You're very welcome. It sounds like you want to Direct and DP though. You should have different demo reels for what you're applying for. If you're looking to be a DP as in a normal narrative DP and shoot narrative films, commercial, and music video work you should keep those all together. If you want to Direct keep that reel separate and show off only your directing skills through short clips form/montage. If you want to apply for colorist jobs show the side by side which you have showed here. If you show your product as a DP you can always say you offer coloring as well and you can always offer to look at your reel for what you've colored. No need to be an all in one type since it only distracts from your main passion and focus when attracting clients.