Thread: SmallRig Cage for Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K 2203

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I agree that half cage is the way to go on this one, it looks really awkward to partially surround the grip. . The original pocket cages that included a mounded grip of some sort were great ad the camera was so small and it increased the mass,but that is not needed for the new one.
    Half-Agreed.

I find half-cages only half-useful.... But I agree that in THIS instance they should not block the camera's handgrip.

Top handle mounting is VERY important on a cage that might end up with a lot of stuff on it. I always prefered the MovCAM cages because the top-handle mount lets you slide from side-to-side to achieve perfect balance when carrying by the handle - this allows not only safer hauling but helps a TON in unusual types of hand-held shots. A TON.

Cable locks are also a must otherwise the cage start to get into the "why bother?" category.

I know SmallRig stuff is great, but the cages I have owned have proven that you do NOT have to end up with a heavy cage when designing a full cage.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by JordanWright View Post
    +1. This should be the screen hood, not those flimsy velcro and hard board hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I agree that half cage is the way to go on this one, it looks really awkward to partially surround the grip. . The original pocket cages that included a mounded grip of some sort were great ad the camera was so small and it increased the mass,but that is not needed for the new one.
    Yes to a half cage, and the half cage that does not cover the bottom also so that the battery compartment can be used with battery grips that third party will be producing. I'm looking forward to companies that makes battery grips to be designing and manufacturing for the BMPCC4K.

Would a half cage that doesn't mount in the bottom be strong enough?

Unless BM really improves the inserts they use for tripod mounts, you need a cage that connects top and bottom. The body is big enough that a half cage should be big enough to attach rails and top handle. Maybe it could be more like 3/4 with a support spar that wraps the lens mount without blocking the hand grip. I agree that cable support is crucial and that the covers will probably have to be removed for cage use.

The camera only has one mounting point top and bottom as I recall. That’s not good. Half cage needs both I should think to be secure.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    [URL="https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-2203.html"]You can discuss it here on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Smal...6445705376338/
    How does one actually get there? Every time I try, I keep getting redirected to my Page.

One thing I would love to see is a bottom cage to hold power and SSD. Each should be accessible from opposite sides. Slide in a new "battery pack" from the right, slide in a new SSD from the left.

Th cage would need to include the appropriate "electronics", offering the necessary power and USB connections so that "hot swapping" is possible.

If you need or want external large battery and SSD drives, buy a Ursa Mini, or Ursa Broadcast Camera. By the time you add all these bits, you will end up with a camera almost as big, and spend about the same money?
    If you need to film an event on sticks, just hang a large camera battery from the tripod.

I plan to keep this setup simple. Just add rail baseblate to the bottom, when on sticks, otherwise keep the camera as is. The camera’s built in grip,should work well. A 1/2 cage would be nice however, but agin keep it small and simple.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.

I like the idea of the self contained battery which keeps the camera small. But I'm thinking that a small well mounted SSD would be a huge plus. Also would love to find a better way to ND. Sometimes variables leave something to be desired. JB talked about the SLR magics 'screw ins' so maybe it's having a set of those when the variables are troubling.