Thread: Help remove color highlight ? New to Resolve

1. #1 Help remove color highlight ? New to Resolve 
    Hi guys, I was hoping you could help me. I'm new to resolve and have mostly just used it to process out raw footage from my cameras into ProRes or DnxHD. I shot this video a few days ago in a hurry, no lights, no dolly, just throw the camera on a tripod and record the actress. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and there was a green light near her head and it left a green highlight on her hair.

Is there any way to remove the green from her hair/shoulder without pulling it out of the other areas behind her (vegetables) ? I'm sure they'd take it as is, but I'd like to use it as a "learning moment" if possible.

https://vimeo.com/278347563/351fb425ca

Any tutorials anyone can point me to?
    Much appreciated.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

First, in a fresh node I'd create a power window around her head and shoulders and track it. Then within that selection, use the HSL selector (eyedropper tool) and faders to select just the green sheen and see if you can desaturate it, or use the hue vs. sat curve tool to kill the saturation of just that green color, inside of the HSL selection, which is inside the windowed selection. Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Allen csc View Post
    First, in a fresh node I'd create a power window around her head and shoulders and track it. Then within that selection, use the HSL selector (eyedropper tool) and faders to select just the green sheen and see if you can desaturate it, or use the hue vs. sat curve tool to kill the saturation of just that green color, inside of the HSL selection, which is inside the windowed selection. Give it a try
    Yup, this is how I'd do it.

Secondaries within tracked power windows can be insanely effective at fixing localized issues.

Luckily for you the top of her hair doesn't overlap anything that is green and the little bit on the left shoulder isn't passing back and forth in front of something green, which would reveal the edge of the mask -- that would call for rotoscoping.
    Aaron Lochert

Thanks guys, I appreciate the point in the right direction. I'll see what I can do.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Hey mate,
    Josh Allen's steps are exactly what I'd do too.

If you're not super familiar with the functions mentioned, search tutorials on Power Windows...then on Tracking a Power Window...then on using not only the Hue vs. Saturation curve tool, but also the Hue vs. Hue curve tool - which can assign any other color you choose to the green pixels. I thought of this because her hair is a nice brown, and just desaturating it might be noticeable..it could look gray.

Also - don't be shy with your Power Windows! It may end up that controlling them is easier if you make three of them- one for her head, one for the bottom portion of her hair that falls on her chest, and one for the section of hair in the middle.

Seriously... if you have not yet investigated the MASSIVE power of Tracked Power Windows - once you learn it you may feel like: "Holy crap, this changes EVERYTHING!!" It is some amazingly powerful stuff.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I think Hue vs Hue is going to give a better result.

Rick, can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by marshallbaker View Post
    Rick, can you explain?
    Dane covered it, it here:

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    then on using not only the Hue vs. Saturation curve tool, but also the Hue vs. Hue curve tool - which can assign any other color you choose to the green pixels. I thought of this because her hair is a nice brown, and just desaturating it might be noticeable..it could look gray.
    He's right. You don't want to just desaturate green, because that makes grey. You want to shift it to the orange spectrum so that it blends and looks like her natural hair color.

Personally, if I already had the green pretty well isolated with the power window and HSL qualifier combo, I would just add red with the wheels (magenta for the minus green effect + orange for hair color = red).

If you use hue vs hue, you probably could just do the main tracked power window and nix the HSL qualifier entirely, as the Hue vs. Hue functions as an H qualifier; you'll already be narrowing in on the greens specifically. The HSL qualifier would be redundant.
    Aaron Lochert

Thanks all. Although rushed to shoot it, the edit's not due for a week or so, which gives me time to figure out power windows.

Where you have a green hue instead of a high lit version of another colour, such as the brown hair, you want to replace the green with another high lit colour such as a light brown or a reddish yellow depending upon the lighting in the frame or desired by the colourist. As mentioned above, strong desaturation won’t give the kind of colour the eye expects to see. Yellow is just another shade of brown if the light on the hair causes the hair to be semi-translucent. If the green is more of a reflected colour on the subject, then a lighter shade of brown would perhaps look best as a dark yellow would be as distracting as the green if there’s no apparent source of a warm bright light outbof frame. You know best.