Thread: Which adaptor for Zeiss ZF Lens Set on EF Mount Ursa Mini?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Which adaptor for Zeiss ZF Lens Set on EF Mount Ursa Mini? 
    hi I want to purchase a set of Zeiss ZF lens ( or ZF.2 ) on my EF Mount Ursa Mini. I rather put an adaptor on my Ursa than on each lens because I will be using the lenses on my Nikon DSLR. What are people using for this kinda set up?

The issue with this Chris, is most NikF to EF adapters are designed to mount to the lens, and are a rather tight fit (which is good), and you need to remove the lens with adapter attached from the camera, to get the adapter back off. To release the adapter from the lens, the release tab is on the back of the adapter, so access when mounted on the camera is nill. Bottom line, just get a couple of adapters (non G lens version, you do not need iris control) for the lenses you will use during one shoot.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-04-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The issue with this Chris, is most NikF to EF adapters are designed to mount to the lens, and are a rather tight fit (which is good), and you need to remove the lens with adapter attached from the camera, to get the adapter back off. To release the adapter from the lens, the release tab is on the back of the adapter, so access when mounted on the camera is nill. Bottom line, just get a couple of adapters (non G lens version, you do not need iris control) for the lenses you will use during one shoot.
    Cheers
    Thanks. When you say "most adaptors are designed to mount to lens", does this mean that there are no adaptors that would fit on the Ursa Mini and then just put each Nikon lens connected to that? I have a metabones adaptor I put on my Sony A7s that enables to quickly mount my EF lenses on it, I am looking for some thing like that. Does anybody know if one exists?

I don't think any adapter like the one you mention exists because it's not the traditional size/flange difference you see with Canon/Nikon lenses and MFT and E-mounts where the adapters can be built bigger. I think all of them are only designed for the lens as Denny mentioned.

However, I used the same lenses with these adapters (see below).

At the time, I didn't know which ones to go with because there are so many that are $10, $15, $20 (including many overpriced ones), but I ended up purchasing a few of these and hoping for the best.

They work great.

I actually sold all of my F-mount lenses if you would like a few of these for cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Feel free to PM if so.)

Isn't this the adaptor I was looking for? So I can put Zeiss ZF lenses ( Nikon Mount ) on my EF Mount Ursa Mini ( not mini pro )?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._mini_pro.html

That is Not an adapter Chris, it is a replacement lens mount for the UM Pro, that replaces the EF mount. This will not work on the UM 4.6 or 4K Cameras with a EF mount, which is fixed and not designed to be removed by a user.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    That is Not an adapter Chris, it is a replacement lens mount for the UM Pro, that replaces the EF mount. This will not work on the UM 4.6 or 4K Cameras with a EF mount, which is fixed and not designed to be removed by a user.
    Cheers
    darn. thanks denny

one more thing, if I had the ursa mini pro, would all of this be possible by buying the BM F mount adaptor for $375? Just put that on the front of the camera and easily switch back and forth?

Yes, you can change the UM Pro from EF to a Nikon F mount, with that mount you referenced from B&H. Once mounted, you can use your Nikon F mount lenses quite easily. That said, this is a manual lens mount, and G lens iris is controlled withmthenlever on the mount, not from thr camera. But AIS and Zeiss ZF lens work as usual.

But Changing lens mounts on the Ursa Mini Pro is not an instant p. Or quick process., it requires a special micro torque driver, and thr removal and replacement of about six screws in a clean area. Changing mounts is not like connecting or removing an adapter.
    The instructions are in thr Ursa Mini Pro manual, and you can read the process there.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-10-2018 at 12:30 AM.

thanks again