Thread: Mount/Tracking shots from a Car [URSA Mini]

1. #1 Mount/Tracking shots from a Car [URSA Mini] 
    I have a short idea and one of the scenes involves tracking someone on a bike. I'm curious how a few people would go about doing so. Has anyone had any experience with mounting an URSA Mini to a car? I also considered shooting from the back of an open hatchback, i've worked on a shoot where that was done before. A good example of what i would be trying to do would be similar to the first two shots in the link below.

*Also if anyone is in the LA area and has a vehicle or a mount/capable i would be open to hiring someone for an hour or two.*

Link

Tom Antos has a number of YT video on shooting from a car. I has a mini pro and in one of his video, I think he had it mounted on the side. Check out his videos and here is one that he talks about a mounting system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=aCRern8cxss

Out the back of a hatchback, or SUV works perfectly for front shots.
    Following is harder if your camera is MOUNTED on a car because it's harder to control your framing.
    Side follow shots are as easy as pointing the camera out the passenger window.
    I've also got a lot of great shots holding a gimbal out of the passenger window. You can get shots easily that look more like a following shot than just looking out the window sideways.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

A pickup truck will give you 360 degree view as will a convertible. Be careful out there, car shooting is dangerous. You can easily get tunnel vision and fail to recognize potential hazards. Work out a system of communication before shooting to ensure everyone knows their gig.

Good Luck and be safe.

If you do a pickup truck or even anything hanging out of a moving car and aren't strapped into a harness you're asking for trouble.

I got a chance to shoot some aircraft launching and recover footage on an aircraft carrier. The flight deck crew Chief assigned a crewman to be my “Guardian Angel” and it was his job to keep me out of grams way! When shooting hand or shoulder mounted from a moving vehile, you need to do the same, get a CA to watch out for you.
    Cherrs

Ive done this from the back of a hatchback and als out the side of a van. If you have a movi and a car mount (like a rigwheels) this works great and allows you to operate wirelessly too...but high hat, some rachet straps and lots of sandbags will work in a pinch. Just be careful. Good to have a spotter car ahead or behind you on a radio to keep you and your driver out of harms way.

Sorry for the late reply, i wanted to personally thank everyone that posted. I found this extremely helpful! �� We're gonna get a hatchback with a sunroof option and get on a quiet street, likely no more than 10mph on the front shot. Also have some help spotting.