Thread: Exposing skin tones FC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Exposing skin tones FC 
    Hey guys,

For those of you using False Color to nail exposure, I know that pink (in bmd chart) is where skin tones should fall. But not all lighting is flat. Let's say you have a rembrandt lighting and the right side of the face is 1 stop over the left side. Which side should be falling in the pink color? And if I change the shot to frame just the side that's in the shadow? Do you then expose that side for pink?

Thanks

I would guess the most important one is the one not in the shadow, so I would not expose for the dark side. But for the lit side. (I should have used this on a shoot last week )

Make that easy for yourself and watch your favorite Deakins movie through false color and get a hang for easy exposure values. Make it clear for yourself what pink means in terms of exposure values.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotbart View Post
    Make that easy for yourself and watch your favorite Deakins movie through false color and get a hang for easy exposure values. Make it clear for yourself what pink means in terms of exposure values.
    how exactly would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    how exactly would you do that?

https://timeinpixels.com/false-color-plugin/

I thought about that. It's good advice but not always what we see in the final frame is what was captured in camera. Though I believe with Deakins it might just be...

When exposing with false colour, with BMD cameras that have a wide latitude, you may not need to nail the exposure. If I’m shooting when there are strong shadows and highlights, I try to make sure I avoid purple and yelling w/red. So the bright side of the face can be light grey or pink. And the shadow could be grey or green or dark grey and you will still have a good exposure.

Whichever technique you use, use it consistently in a scene. And lean in the direction of the final result you want to achieve in post.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 07-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.

You can generate False Color LUT with LUTCalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCa...alc/index.html and use directly in Resolve

Last edited by shijan; 06-24-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Last I checked, there wasn't a plugin for BMD false color (what you see on the ursa mini 4.6k)

I might be wrong, but i think the BMD video assist false color and ursa mini 4.6k false color is different..pretty stupid IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    Last I checked, there wasn't a plugin for BMD false color (what you see on the ursa mini 4.6k)

I might be wrong, but i think the BMD video assist false color and ursa mini 4.6k false color is different..pretty stupid IMO
    uhm not exactly, are very near, but...
    camera tools show you the sensor value, for waveform, istogram and false color, when you send the 16bit signal sensor forced to 10bit out of sdi to Videoassist you see a false color on a different signal. If you have very strong contrast you can see different color, but low contrast scene you not see difference.