Thread: Movie - Assembly Required - shot with Super16 Lenses

1. #1 Movie - Assembly Required - shot with Super16 Lenses 
    Hi guys!

Back in 2013 I ordered my first BMPCC, with the hopes of making a feature film. Now, after three years of work with my brother a small team of friends, actors and artists the film is almost complete!

We have just released the trailer for our comedy feature film, Assembly Required. Here's the link:

We have taken inspiration from The Hurt Locker and The Walking Dead and paired the original BMPCC with a Canon 10.6-180 T2.7 zoom lens.

It's been a great adventure using Blackmagic so far; I'd really love to know what you thought and if you have any comments. We want to hear from everyone, if you want to get involved in any way please message us on the Assembly Required Kickstarter http://kck.st/2La7WL6

Cheers!
    Dante and Dore
    Last edited by dantehr; 06-23-2018 at 05:34 AM.

We've been out shooting more scenes. Trying to get as close as I can to nature

I'm really interested in getting a s16 zoom but so far they've all been quite pricey, did you pay out for the Canon or did you manage to find a good deal? Where did you end up finding it?

How was shooting with it? I understand that they're quite heavy, 2kg is quite the bit to add on to the front of a pocket even when counter weighted with a v mount battery.

Hi Ryanite
    I bought the zoom for about 2000 GBP from cameramarket.eu 4 years ago.
    The weight is more like 1.6kg. The shoulder rig I use adds up to about 5kg which completely gets rid of micro jitter. I keep the balance point directly above the shoulder.
    I think zooms in general are just amazing for shooting a variety of shots quickly. Since we have a small team I do all the camera stuff myself, changing lens would really slow us down. I had to shim the pl to mft adaptor, but the lens is parfocal, so you can zoom right in to make sure your focus is accurate, then zoom back out again.

Having a parfocal zoom would be so great and I completely agree that having to swap out and change lenses, then change them back if it's not quite the right look really slows an indie set down way too much.

Considering the pocket has a s16 sensor it's a no brainier if the budget is there for it.

Great looking project, and thr Canon 10-80 is a nice zoom lens. Good luck with yiur project.

I went with the Angie 17.5-70 S16 Zoom, which is also parfocal (if PL adapter is shimmed for correct FFD). It is a great little zoom, not heavy, and is easy to use. Yiu can zoom in, pull focus and zoom bs k to the desired focal length. I do a lens change for WA shots only.
    It also,works well on the BM Micro Cameras.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-24-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks Denny!
    I was wondering what lenses do you use when you swap for wides?

I had a 12mm Zeiss Super Speed, and still use a Elite 9.5mm for UWA.
    I replaced the Super Speed with a Duclos ( Tokina) 11-16 zoom.
    With the two zooms (all PL mount) I can go from 11mm to 70mm,
    with the Elite 9.5 for a UWA shot. BTW, I have the Optica Elite 9.5 MkIV for sale, see For Sale/WTB Forum.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.

I have the 20-80mm Angenieux, very similar. For wide I have a 12.5mm Cosmicar and a 10mm Schneider Cinegon. The Cosmicar is so-so, the Schneider is excellent.

2 HOURS TO GO! http://kck.st/2La7UCY

We're about to embark upon the completion of Assembly Required - we'll be working full time on the movie right up until December, making it as amazing as it can possibly be!

The movie is packed with philosophy, comedy, drama and action, a blend inspired by Monty Python, Peep Show, and Blackadder, along with movies like The Wrestler and Black Swan, combined with the social realism of I, Daniel Blake and American Honey. We've channelled all of this through tabletop gaming.

So far we have 39 backers which we are immensely grateful for. If you want to see this film funded, and watch the result later this year, here is a link to the Kickstarter http://kck.st/2La7UCY