Thread: Speedbooster for the pocket 4K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Sorry to be blunt but you guys have no idea what your are talking about. I politely request you stop posting in this thread.
    Seriously?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Seriously?
    Seriously.

    If you don't know what your are talking about don't just summarily dismiss people who have questions and genuine concerns. There is no law requiring people to post to EVERY thread. 99.9% of the time I'm on here I'm reading and learning from people who know what they are talking about. It is frustrating when people clutter up the forum with misinformation. It is even worse when they post with such authority and dismiss other forum members. Just don't post in threads you know nothing about. I go months without posting anything. It really isn't hard to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Seriously.

    If you don't know what your are talking about don't just summarily dismiss people who have questions and genuine concerns. There is no law requiring people to post to EVERY thread. 99.9% of the time I'm on here I'm reading and learning from people who know what they are talking about. It is frustrating when people clutter up the forum with misinformation. It is even worse when they post with such authority and dismiss other forum members. Just don't post in threads you know nothing about. I go months without posting anything. It really isn't hard to do.
    We're a community; We "Politely request" people stop participating in discussions. I'm sure both of them appreciate the correction and were only sharing what they believed to be accurate information.
    If Denny hadn't posted what he did, you wouldn't have had a reason to correct him in this thread and I wouldn't have learned what I just did about sensor stack thickness. The beauty of open discussions! :-)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    2,874
    Vid, you are correct about the comparison of Full Frsme sensor glass and MFT differences. I was referring to the Panny and Oly MFT Cameras thst have a 4mm sensor Cover Glass stack, and the BM Pocket/Cinema cameras that have a 2mm cover glass stack thickness. It was this difference, with using the MFT 0.71 (original model) Speed Booster on the Pocket Camera with a fast lens like the Sigma 18-35 Zoom that had critical focus issues at f/1.4, which was the issue addressed by Brian C. When he redesigned the SB for a BM Camera specific SB to address this, and increase the optical expansion for the smaller sensors. The result was the BMPCC (x 0.58) SB and the BMCC MFT Mount version.

    This is not misinformation, but a history of some of the issues wth SB and previous BM cameras. Perhaps Brian will chime in with a more technical explanation. I was just trying to keep this simple, by addressing what I thought was the original question. In any cares, when it comes to the new Pocket 4K, we are all speculating, as we do not have all the technical specifications, nor has there been any published issues with the demo cameras, being used with the current MFT XL or Ultra SB. We will all have to just wait and see when the camera is released.
    With that said, I am bowing out of this discussion also.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Sorry to be blunt but you guys have no idea what your are talking about. I politely request you stop posting in this thread. You are posting misinformation.
    For starters, the most polite way I can say this is that I don’t appreciate your tone. Even if you were in the right, which I disagree with, that doesn’t make you some kind of meta-mod. Have a little grace for crying out loud. Yeesh.

    For another thing, I’m aware that the stack thickness between most M4/3 cameras and the BMD cams are different. I’m also aware that designing optics specifically for the 2mm BMD sensor stack does improve MTF. I just don’t care, and I think everyone makes way to big a deal about this.

    If I only used optics designed for a 2mm stack, that pretty much limits me to using the BMPCC Nikon and Canon Speedboosters with my BMPCC—no Panasonic lenses, no Olympus lenses, no Kowa, Veydra, Laowa, PL lenses, etc. In spite of this, I do use Olympus/Panasonic/Veydra lenses on my BMPCC and I don’t feel like the results are anything to be disappointed in. Further, I have used some 4mm optimized boosters (the locking EF->M4/3 0.64x booster) on a BMPCC and used BMPCC optimized boosters on a D16, and in both instances the results were good enough to project.

    Again, I know that there are a lot of things that can be done to specifically optimize optics for different sensor stacks, but I don’t believe it’s so apocalyptic that someone needs to come down from Mt. Sinai to hand out edicts about who is allowed to post where.

    [Edit] Also worth mentioning is that no one knows how thick the 4KPCC stack will be. Definitely not worth making a big deal out of yet.
    Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 06-23-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada
    Posts
    3,979
    I’m going to sit on the sidelines until an official announcement from Brian Caldwell or Metabones for their recommendation when shooting with the Pocket 4K. I am looking for the strongest focal reduction when shooting with 135 films full frame SLR Magic APO PL/EF lenses. There is a chance that the popularity of the Pocket 4K may entice Metabones to offer their 0.5x focal reducer on the new camera which should work with the larger image circle of the APO primes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    I’m going to sit on the sidelines until an official announcement from Brian Caldwell or Metabones for their recommendation when shooting with the Pocket 4K. I am looking for the strongest focal reduction when shooting with 135 films full frame SLR Magic APO PL/EF lenses. There is a chance that the popularity of the Pocket 4K may entice Metabones to offer their 0.5x focal reducer on the new camera which should work with the larger image circle of the APO primes.
    +1
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    474
    Hmm on the fence now. I am eying the kinefinity Mavo (or the LF). I was planning on buying the pocket in addition to my ursa mini pro. But instead I could get the mavo. Which will cost a bit more, but then I have a smaller body with the kine-enhancer it will have depth of field like a Full frame camera and still small enough to use on a ronin-s for example(which I was planning on using the pocket 4K on). I am going to need to do some math and see how much more it will cost me. Ok yeah nevermind way too much
    Last edited by polaroid22; 06-25-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Hmm on the fence now. I am eying the kinefinity Mavo (or the LF). I was planning on buying the pocket in addition to my ursa mini pro. But instead I could get the mavo. Which will cost a bit more, but then I have a smaller body with the kine-enhancer it will have depth of field like a Full frame camera and still small enough to use on a ronin-s for example(which I was planning on using the pocket 4K on). I am going to need to do some math and see how much more it will cost me. Ok yeah nevermind way too much
    Yeah was gonna say, the kinefinities are just too expensive really for what they are imo even more so when compared to the pocket. I do wish they didn't go with a 7inch long body for the pocket though.

    I'm hoping for a couple things with the pocket 4k. Firstly on topic I'm hoping that the viltrox adaptor plays nicely since it's literally AUD 200 vs AUD 800 of the metabones or something ridiculous. I'm willing to shell out for a well made OLPF that doesn't impact the image negatively, a compact battery system and I'm really hoping for someone to come up with a smart mag system designed around the samsung SSD T drives, a nice enclosure or something that protects the cables/ ports. I'd grab a couple of the 500g T5 ssd's and maybe skip out on paying for cfast cards, use my old sandisk pocket cards for the SD card slot when needed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Yeah was gonna say, the kinefinities are just too expensive really for what they are imo even more so when compared to the pocket. I do wish they didn't go with a 7inch long body for the pocket though.

    I'm hoping for a couple things with the pocket 4k. Firstly on topic I'm hoping that the viltrox adaptor plays nicely since it's literally AUD 200 vs AUD 800 of the metabones or something ridiculous. I'm willing to shell out for a well made OLPF that doesn't impact the image negatively, a compact battery system and I'm really hoping for someone to come up with a smart mag system designed around the samsung SSD T drives, a nice enclosure or something that protects the cables/ ports. I'd grab a couple of the 500g T5 ssd's and maybe skip out on paying for cfast cards, use my old sandisk pocket cards for the SD card slot when needed.
    I like Cfast because its so compact, has high speeds, only indeed the price is an issue at this point, but thats just one tough pill to swallow.

    Yeah the pocket is rivalling the Terra 4K. Terra 4K is maybe a bit more beefed, but not worth 4K more. For the Mavo I would pay more, but the difference is way too high with my ursa mini pro. Otherwise I would have sold my ump and gone kinefinity mavo. If they should drop their prices I guess they would sell a shitload. Not sure why a company from australia can beat a chinese company pricing wise.
    Last edited by polaroid22; 06-26-2018 at 01:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Speedbooster Pocket EF->MFT
    By Soeren Mueller in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 05:26 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM
  3. Pocket and Speedbooster
    By Mac in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 12:54 AM
  4. Pocket with Sigma and Speedbooster day out
    By leemack78 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 06:33 AM
  5. BM Pocket + Speedbooster thoughts?
    By nickjbedford in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •