Thread: BlackUrsa Mini 4.6K EF Video Error

1. #1 BlackUrsa Mini 4.6K EF Video Error 
    Hello I have the BlackMagic Ursa 4.6k EF version 4.8 and at times while recording my video is corrupted with lines throughout the footage. This occurs randomly during recording sessions sometimes lasting for a few seconds while other times lasting so long that I have to manually turn off the camera and turn back on again for it to go away.

I have included a video of what happens and how the corrupt video is recording on the CD fast card.

https://vimeo.com/274549722

Any suggestions of how I can fix this issue?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by benne13 View Post
    Hello I have the BlackMagic Ursa 4.6k EF version 4.8 and at times while recording my video is corrupted with lines throughout the footage. This occurs randomly during recording sessions sometimes lasting for a few seconds while other times lasting so long that I have to manually turn off the camera and turn back on again for it to go away.

I have included a video of what happens and how the corrupt video is recording on the CD fast card.

Any suggestions of how I can fix this issue?

Thanks,
    To eliminate some issue that this looks like in the past.

Does the error occur in playback ON THE CAMERA ? Have you checked ? Sometimes in copying the media these types of issues can come up. Sometimes too this can be a simple error in transcoding from Resolve if you're shooting RAW ?

Are you shooting RAW ? ProRes ?

Are you using SD cards or CFAST cards ? Which cards ?

JB

Maybe your cards aren't fast enough. What cards are you using?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I'm using the KomputerBay 256GB 3400x CFast 2.0 card which is one of the recommended cards by BM. I was talking with BM tech support and they believe it may be an issue with the camera's main circuit board which isn't repairable.. smh.. I really hope this isn't the case..

In my opinion, corruption in footage in BM cameras has been happening since day 1.

All models, all cards...some may never see it (good ones off the conveyor belt) while others do.

Most of it is very random and might happen on the 1st clip or the 100th clip. The corruption is usually in some form of static, lines, and blocks which may or may not have mixed colors.

Sometimes the malfunction briefly appears on the screen and fizzes out within a few seconds while other times it lasts for a longer period of time. Usually stopping and restarting recording remedies the error, but sometimes a reboot is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    In my opinion, corruption in footage in BM cameras has been happening since day 1.

All models, all cards...some may never see it (good ones off the conveyor belt) while others do.

Most of it is very random and might happen on the 1st clip or the 100th clip. The corruption is usually in some form of static, lines, and blocks which may or may not have mixed colors.

Sometimes the malfunction briefly appears on the screen and fizzes out within a few seconds while other times it lasts for a longer period of time. Usually stopping and restarting recording remedies the error, but sometimes a reboot is necessary.
    Thanks NorBro.. Because this is exactly what I've been experiencing. The corruption in form of static, lines etc.. Just as you mentioned at times it's very brief other times I'll have to restart my camera. I'm coming from DSLR (GH5) cameras into cinema cameras so this is my first time seeing errors like this.

It could happen with any company...some more than others.

I would maybe save the clips with the corruptions (if it's happening a lot) and forward them to BM and see if you can receive a replacement (if interested).

But if it's very rare, it may not be worth the hassle (and the replacement could be worse!).

Quote Originally Posted by benne13 View Post
    I'm using the KomputerBay 256GB 3400x CFast 2.0 card which is one of the recommended cards by BM. I was talking with BM tech support and they believe it may be an issue with the camera's main circuit board which isn't repairable.. smh.. I really hope this isn't the case..
    Isn't repairable meaning it can be replaced though, yes?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Isn't repairable meaning it can be replaced though, yes?
    Correct. If it's a mother board issue then it can't be replaced, which sucks because I actually purchased the camera from someone on this forum less than 6 months ago and I've used the camera on less than 10 shoots so far

Regarding a replacement...personally I meant a new camera.

In the past, it appeared that various people (at least the original buyers) received new cameras when their cameras had certain problems.