Thread: BMD Pocket 4K - What's your planned base setup?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In some past interview with Grant, did anyone remember him saying that a speed booster is on the works for the Pocket 4K. I don't recall he mentioned the vendors name but does that mean a more compatible SB is on the horizon and to hold off before considering any of the current SB?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    In some past interview with Grant, did anyone remember him saying that a speed booster is on the works for the Pocket 4K. I don't recall he mentioned the vendors name but does that mean a more compatible SB is on the horizon and to hold off before considering any of the current SB?
    I think I remember him mentioning that they've tested the 4KPCC with speed boosters but not that new ones were being designed. Because it's (as far as we know) the same sensor as the GH5s, anything that works with that works with the 4KPCC.

I remember a BM rep stating that they'd imagine a specific one was being made for it, stated in a tone as if they already knew one was but I don't think I've seen anyone straight up say it.

I'm still hesitant on the purchase but if I were to I'd most likely run an NP-f setup as nothing really comes close to their affordability and run time, a speedbooster only because of the fly by wire nature of most mft lenses and probably run the glidecam I already have but ultimately would look at getting the Ronin s for focus control. Depending on how the 4k squares up I'm actually interested in the GH5s and the Atomos ninja V, admittedly costing a whole lot more but it does have nice perks when running only the camera.

I'd also get the ninja V over the smallhd focus just for it's potential dual recording, when using the pocket 4k. Other than that though you could save a bunch of money running a cheap 1080 monitor since the 4k has lut support, something I really wish my micro had.

If a focal reducer covers the GH5s then there’s not really much they could do to improve it for the 4KPCC, unless BMD is doing something really bizarre with the glass in the sensor stack...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    If a focal reducer covers the GH5s then there’s not really much they could do to improve it for the 4KPCC, unless BMD is doing something really bizarre with the glass in the sensor stack...
    Apparently the glass thickness in BM products so far have been different to standard. Not sure why really but it effects the focus. Makes me wonder if they'd just sell pocket 4k ones that only have a different calibration? Or people could calibrate themselves but it's an added hassle. I hope they simple just make standard glass filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Apparently the glass thickness in BM products so far have been different to standard. Not sure why really but it effects the focus. Makes me wonder if they'd just sell pocket 4k ones that only have a different calibration? Or people could calibrate themselves but it's an added hassle. I hope they simple just make standard glass filters.
    Yeah, the BMCC and BMPCC both had a stack thickness of 2mm vs 4mm for every other MFT camera. It made sense to make bespoke SpeedBoosters for the BMCC and BMPCC though; their sensors were smaller and therefore could get more of a sensitivity boost than regular MFT sensors; there wasn't as much competition in the low-price cinema camera market at the time; and there also weren't that many lenses servicing wider focal lengths for sub-MFT sensor sizes, guaranteeing that most serious filmmakers would probably need a SB at one point or another to get a wider field of view. None of those things are really the case anymore though, and we don't even know how thick the sensor stack will even be on the 4KPCC.

Even if BMD decides to go with 2mm vs 4mm, I know a few shooters around here who use the CINE Speed Booster XL on BMPCCs and the footage looks fine. Likewise, I've seen lots of footage from D16s that used BMPCC SBs and that footage looked great too. Maybe it could be more ideal, but I doubt it'd be so bad that you'd be unhappy with the results.

[Edit] Something to think about: Even from a single manufacturer, stack thickness in camera bodies can vary by a significant amount even though you'd use the same lenses on all of them. As for lenses, a significant number of them were designed and manufactured before digital cameras had even been released, and some were designed to accommodate both digital and film. While the stack obviously has an effect on MFT/contrast/aberrations, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's not the end of the world to use optics designed for a 4mm stack on a 2mm stack camera. You might have to adjust the back focus, but you're still going to get a decent image once everything is said and done.
    Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 06-06-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Anyone else thinking an offset shoulder mount with a battery on the shoulder and bmpcc 4k in front?

-Two P4K's with an Oben QRA-R2 Quick Release RP-20 Plate on each
    -Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100, HOYA IR filters on each
    -The rest is wait and see
    Last edited by Jim Simon; 06-10-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Pocket 4K with Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64x (Nikon to M4/3).

1. Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8, with BMPCC4K (crop 1.9) and 0.64x booster it covers 34-85mm f/1.8.
    2. Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2.
    3. And I would like to get Angenieux 70-210mm f/3.5.
    4. B+W UV-IR Cut filter 77mm.
    5. Haida PROII-S Variable ND filter 77mm.
    6. Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4 77mm.
    7. Power bank 12v (5*18650).
    8. Zoom H1.
    9. I'd like to get Oktava MK-012 XLR mic.
    Last edited by Snuff; 06-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Would it be worth getting both the speedboosted and non speedbooster adapter with something like the sigma 18-35? Use the booster for wider shots and the non for telephoto to take advantage of the crop? I'm considering doing this with my current BMMCC since it's crop is huge it pretty much makes 1 lens into two.

Am I overseeing some major downside to this? Only thing I can think of is change in exposure since it's no longer boosted but I can always compensate with lights or on the new Bmpcc 4k it sounds like it will have a clean iso range to use.