Thread: BMD Pocket 4K - What's your planned base setup?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Would it be worth getting both the speedboosted and non speedbooster adapter with something like the sigma 18-35? Use the booster for wider shots and the non for telephoto to take advantage of the crop? I'm considering doing this with my current BMMCC since it's crop is huge it pretty much makes 1 lens into two.

Am I overseeing some major downside to this? Only thing I can think of is change in exposure since it's no longer boosted but I can always compensate with lights or on the new Bmpcc 4k it sounds like it will have a clean iso range to use.
    That's the way to go in general with adapters IMO. It doubles your entire lens set, not just the sigma. I've been doing that on the Nikon side up to now, but also recently added the EF speedbooster as I wanted to used the stabilizer on EF mount lenses and to have the focal length automatically register for the IBIS on my GH5 rather than having to input it manually every time I change focal length. That's not a Pocket 4k relevant scenario, but yes, speedboosted and non speedboosted is the way to go if you want to maximize your lenses.

Yes, I agree. I have both adapters for my ZF lenses. The 18-35 w/the 0.71 SB becomes a 13-25mm, so you gain at the wide end, and works if you already have the lens.

I went with two zooms in PL mount to get quicker changes, as changing SB is a hassle as mine is bolted to the Wooden Camera Cage to eliminate the play in the MFT mount. I got a 11-16 Duclos Tokina for the wide end, and my 18-50 or Angie 17.5-70 for thr normal to long end. Both the 11-16 and 18-50 will work with the new Pocket 4K. I do not plan to use a Speed Booster.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-15-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Am I overseeing some major downside to this? Only thing I can think of is change in exposure since it's no longer boosted but I can always compensate with lights or on the new Bmpcc 4k it sounds like it will have a clean iso range to use.

I'd imagine that most everyone uses both SB and native adapters because of the expanded options they give with any lens. There is no downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Yes, I agree. I have both adapters for my ZF lenses. The 18-35 w/the 0.71 SB becomes a 13-25mm, so you gain at the wide end, and works if yiu a,ready have the lens.

I went with two zooms in PL mount to get quicker changes, as changing SB is a hassle as mine is bolted to the Wooden Camera Cage to eliminate the play in the MFT mount. I got a 11-16 Duclos Tokina for the wide end, and my 18-50 or Angie 17.5-70 for thr normal to long end. Both the 11-16 and 18-50 will work with the new Pocket 4K.
    Cheers
    Unfortunately the 11-16 and the 18-35 have some vignetting with speedbooster on my GH1 that have roughly the same sensor size of the Pocket 4k.

BMD pocket 4k (I'm not preordering: I'll wait for the first reviews, I have to see how good the DR is compared to current Sonys)
    Samyang 12mm f/2.0 (works as a FF-equivalent 23mm f/3.8)
    Leitz Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 (works as a FF-equivalent 95mm f/2.7)

Plus a bunch of batteries, and storage (still deciding between a big CFast card or a small one plus a USB-C SSD).
    Hopefully it will work on my Zhiyun Crane.

Initially, no speedbooster, just a regular adapter for my Leica-R lenses (I can live comfortably with just a 23mm and an 95mm, but I have a full Leica-R set in case it's needed: 24-35-50-60-90-135-180)
    I could get a speedbooster and turn my 35mm f/2.8 into a FF-equivalent 47mm f/3.8, but then again, I could also get a Mitakon 25mm f/0.95, which is a much nicer FF-equivalent 48mm f/1.8
    Last edited by Samuel H; 06-15-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Barebones on a Ronin S. This will be my B-Cam, to my UMP.

1. A cage (I have to mount the SSD somewhere. And also external Monitor. right? Or are you all going spend money on C-fast?)
    2. A speedbooster. I am not happy with Metabone. overprices. And the pins suck. I hope to see some comparison videos about Viltrox EF-M2.
    3. Lens: Zeiss 35mm, Nikon Nikkor AIs lenses. (I ddonīt like Sigma. Donīt like Samyang/Rokinon)
    4. LP-E6 batteries.
    6. SSD
    7. External Monitor

1. smallrig cage
    2. speedbooster
    3. 2 256gb cfast cards
    4. 5 batteries
    5. ronin s
    6. nucleus-m
    7. a bunch of ef mounts lenses i already have

Quote Originally Posted by Max Minoia View Post
    Unfortunately the 11-16 and the 18-35 have some vignetting with speedbooster on my GH1 that have roughly the same sensor size of the Pocket 4k.
    Interesting, which Speed Booster? I saw a GH5S test with the Sigma 18-35, and there was no vignetting with the 0.71 SB, but it did vignette with the XL 0.64.
    Cheers