Thread: RX570 for 4.6k?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RX570 for 4.6k? 
    Hey guys,

Anyone knows if this gpu can handle 4.6k raw workflow? I'm inclined into buying a 1070ti, but this card has 8gb as well and for half the price. I'm sure there's a catch, just wanted to know which one. Here's the card I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/RX570P8DFD6-R.../dp/B077VX31FZ

Thanks

Nobody? This GPU is half the price of a 1070ti, even though it has the same RAM. Any catch?

I can't comment specifically on that particular GPU's performance, as I haven't followed some up the recent updates (still rocking my 980 TI, which has similiar performance to the 1070 Ti). But I will say that looking at RAM isn't the best way to compare GPUs, as there are things like processor, memory interface, CUDA lanes, etc that also play an important role. It would be like comparing two computers with 16gb of RAM, but one has a top of line i7 processor while the other has a pentium.

The best thing to do would be to compare benchmarks on these two related to video editing, if you can find them. Tom's Hardware (which is more gaming oriented) has a GPU tier list that I occasionally refer to, and it has the 1070 ti two tiers above the RX570, which would be a noticeable improvement.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html

Each GPU has different variants as well, so one more thing to keep in mind as far as performance goes.

I will say that with a RAW workflow, I really wouldn't skimp on any components. Especially hard disk space/speed and processor. The best GPU in the world won't help if the files can't be read fast enough off the hard drive.
    Last edited by mstrouty; 05-31-2018 at 11:30 AM.

It is an AMD GPU. I have no experience with the RX570 but my workhorse is using 2 AMD R9 390X GPU each with 8gb of RAM. I am very happy with those cards and I have no problems handling 4K RAW workflows. I've had my cards for 2 years now so I would think the RX570 will have newer tech, I just look at the benchmark to compare the RX570 with the R9 390X. It seems that the 390X has the better benchmark of the two, but a measly faster fps for the MRender test.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...90X/3924vs3497

Resolve 14 and 15 now fully supports CUDA and Open CL so it's likely you will no longer have troubles with either an NVIDIA or AMD card. But you'll have to decide what gives you the best value for what you want to or can spend. I think if you are using your system as both for and gaming, then I suggest going with an NVIDIA card because there are probably more older games that requires CUDA. These days, it does not matter anymore. I use my workstation exclusively for editing and coloring so the AMD cards on my system are well suited for me.
    Last edited by EYu; 05-31-2018 at 03:52 PM.

EYu,

That system sounds nice, but wouldn't a single 8gb R9 390X be enough to handle 4k RAW? My only goal is to use this with Resolve. I have a GTX 970 4gb that simply doesn't cut it for 4k RAW...

some OFX are Cuda only, but if you are not useing them anyway, that's a non-issue, just something to be aware of and check compatabaility before buying a Gpu

David, I run a 1070 in a 5960 tower and a 570 in a dual xeon tower. Most of my work is architecture so its all about cpu cores and base processor speed for me in raytracing. I do however edit 4k time lines a couple of times a month. The 1070 crushes the 570. If you are planning on 4.6 don't go less than the 1070ti. If I was going to have to do anything serious in the xeon I would pull the 570 and go minimally to a 1070ti. If I was working daily I would not be happy with anything less than a 1070 and truthfully I would run my monitors off the 1070 and get a 1070ti, probably a 1080ti for grading.

The 1070 is slightly slower than the 980ti I have in a a 5930 box in South America. The 5930 has a 970 to monitors and 980ti grading. Its was built 2+ years ago solely for photography and cine, works well in 4k raw out to about 5 nodes. Hope I answered your question.

Thank you all for your help. New gpus are coming out this summer, so I'll wait to see the price drops in the 1070ti and similar cards.

It is getting crazy out there. There was a momentary sale yesterday at PCGAMER for about $370 for the 1070ti and $399 for a 1080. I am not a gamer so of course I heard about 6 hours too late but if you need a card its time to subscribe to the crazy card forums and see if you can catch one.

I'm in the exact same boat, David. I have a GTX 970 4GB which, to its credit, has been working well, but I am more often working at UHD res or above, OR even in 1080 plus OFX plugins (like Neat Video, bane of GPU memory). I frequently get "out of GPU memory" errors in those scenarios and have been looking at the RX570 and 1070.

The 1070 is my goal but I am also kinda in a dire situation where my hardware is keeping a project from being completed. At the very least, it seems like a substantial upgrade over the 970. I may end up biting the bullet and ordering so I can finish up this project before I leave town for a shoot next week.