Thread: Shooting vintage cars

1. #1 Shooting vintage cars 
    There was a kind of an expo with classic cars in my neighbourhood, so I took my daughter and the Ursa Mini and tried to film some of the cars, before they'd leave. Since I started grading with my new FSI monitor, it's kind of scary to realize how off my old monitor was... I still use my two old screens as GUI and it's crazy how the hell I graded in that. This was graded a bit heavy just to look old and grainy. Anyway, a few grabs:

Last edited by david evans; 05-27-2018 at 04:48 PM.

I myself just took a small step toward better colour getting the Dell ultrasharp over my old Dell monitor and the difference is scary in the fact that I'm not sure whether to push the bueaty of the new monitor at the peril of the old as it can't keep up. Makes me wonder how many would be viewing with an older monitor and whether I should compromise a bit especially in terms of contrast and saturation. The new monitor will seem beautifully saturated and contrasted and the old seems a touch off since I assume it can't reach the same values.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I myself just took a small step toward better colour getting the Dell ultrasharp over my old Dell monitor and the difference is scary in the fact that I'm not sure whether to push the bueaty of the new monitor at the peril of the old as it can't keep up. Makes me wonder how many would be viewing with an older monitor and whether I should compromise a bit especially in terms of contrast and saturation. The new monitor will seem beautifully saturated and contrasted and the old seems a touch off since I assume it can't reach the same values.
    I know what you mean. Especially when doing more pronounced grades such as this where I boosted saturation and added some grain (and I still have to try a three strip color approach). When viewed on my FSI which is calibrated for rec709, it looks good. On my older monitot it looks... so wrong. Luminance, color, everything is off...
    Last edited by david evans; 05-28-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Which FSI model did you end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by weis5on View Post
    Which FSI model did you end up getting?
    I got the AM210. It's 21" which is perfectly ok for me. It's not P3, but most of my deliverables will be REC709. I really like this panel and the ability to grade with confidence is really important.

That look is so rad. Love it. Works especially well for the subject! Grain looks good too, what'd you use?
    Dory Breaux
    Filmmaker/Photographer
    www.dorybreaux.com

Thanks Dory. The grain was Filmconvert which is what I always use for grain. Part of the look is also FC, though I always tone it down a bit as I feel FC always gives harsh results when used at full force. At least to my taste

The second-to-last frame looks like a frame from a 50's Nicholas Ray or Douglas movie. Love it.
    Could you elaborate on your settings color-wise?
    Thanks in advance.

Hey Roberto. I graded this with Film Convert using the Kodak 5213 film negative emulation. The grain was also FC. Before I did the FC node, I had a few nodes to adjust the curve and saturation of specific parts of the image, depending of what I was framing. Part of that vintage look also comes from the lens I used (Tokina 28-70). And of course... the cars helped