Thread: Timecode jam UMP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Timecode jam UMP 
    I am unable to get the UMP to jam external TC generated from Zaxnet or SD633. Had two Ursa mini 4.6k that jammed without issue, but the UMP wouldn't jam. Running 4.9 and Setup Menu is set to "External" for timecode source. Neither the inside LCD or outside LCD are indicating an external TC source.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Reset the camera's software to factory and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by weis5on View Post
    I am unable to get the UMP to jam external TC generated from Zaxnet or SD633. Had two Ursa mini 4.6k that jammed without issue, but the UMP wouldn't jam. Running 4.9 and Setup Menu is set to "External" for timecode source. Neither the inside LCD or outside LCD are indicating an external TC source.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry to ask the obvious

How are you monitoring ? When you toggle the time code does it pop up then ? When you say it’s set to “external” what do you mean ?

I know they greatly improved the accuracy of the TC clock in the UMP and in my experience it’s better. I always had more trouble getting the Ursa Mini 4.6 to jam. Usually 90% of the time it was cables too because we’d get crappy rental cables and the assistants would refuse to believe that three wouldn’t work.

Sometimes too, the 5p lemo is mis wired as a TC IN rather than out. Or not mis- wired just the wrong cable :-)

So are you using the right cables ? Are they verified as actually working on another device ?

Again sorry for the obvious, but it’s what’s happened to me several times.

JB

You also need to have matching frame rate between your timecode device and your camera's project frame rates otherwise the camera will ignore the external timecode you are sending it.

Project frame rate set to 23.976 in both the Zaxcom, SD633, and UMP. Monitoring done through the Zaxcom ERX3TCD, which can send scratch track to camera, as well as TC. Audio was good on the Zaxcom ZMT3's wireless (verified on ERX3TCD) and timecode was functioning fine, as two Mini 4.6k's jammed without issue. Tried jamming using the SD633 in case the issue was the ERX3TCD or cables, but the UMP wouldn't jam with the SD633 either. The menu page 3 allows choosing generated TC or external TC. I toggled between the two, but it still wouldn't pickup external TC... Again, I know the sound/TC system was working fine because two Mini's jammed fine.

Project frame rate set to 23.976 in both the Zaxcom, SD633, and UMP. Monitoring done through the Zaxcom ERX3TCD, which can send scratch track to camera, as well as TC. Audio was good on the Zaxcom ZMT3's wireless (verified on ERX3TCD) and timecode was functioning fine, as two Mini 4.6k's jammed without issue. Tried jamming using the SD633 in case the issue was the ERX3TCD or cables, but the UMP wouldn't jam with the SD633 either. The menu page 3 allows choosing generated TC or external TC. I toggled between the two, but it still wouldn't pickup external TC... Again, I know the sound/TC system was working fine because two Mini's jammed fine.
    Seems to me like you’ve done the most obvious things. If the camera has never taken sync then it may well be a fault with the camera. Any chance you can test your setup on another UMP ?

When I was asking about monitoring, I was meaning, how do you know the TC isn’t taking on the camera side ? There’s the “EXT” symbol that comes up to the right of the time code field, usually after being connected for a few seconds. Presume you’re not seeing that ?

JB

Thanks, John. So monitoring was done on the flip out lcd. On the inside, no ext symbol came up and TC continued running from internal clock. On the outside lcd the external TC spot simply stays zeroed out. This is a brand new camera, so I’m thinking it just might be a bad bnc connection.

Thanks, John. So monitoring was done on the flip out lcd. On the inside, no ext symbol came up and TC continued running from internal clock. On the outside lcd the external TC spot simply stays zeroed out. This is a brand new camera, so I’m thinking it just might be a bad bnc connection.
    Yeah if it’s never worked that’s where I”m ending up. Maybe if you can try your setup on another UMP to verify ?

JB

I've never been able to get my UMP to jam from a Tentacle Sync nor from a Roland R88 with BNC TC out to the UMP. Tried all different TC cables. I believe its a 75ohm connection and requires line level which I have also tried but to no avail so you are not alone. I now just feed the TC from the Tentacle to the UMP onto audio 2 xlr. Works perfect when lining up in Resolve or Avid with the audio files from the R88.

Quote Originally Posted by ns400r View Post
    I've never been able to get my UMP to jam from a Tentacle Sync nor from a Roland R88 with BNC TC out to the UMP. Tried all different TC cables. I believe its a 75ohm connection and requires line level which I have also tried but to no avail so you are not alone. I now just feed the TC from the Tentacle to the UMP onto audio 2 xlr. Works perfect when lining up in Resolve or Avid with the audio files from the R88.
    I've been using multiple UMP's using multiple clocks including the Moze TIG, the Ambient Nano and the Ambient Tiny Lockit just fine on the UMP TC in.

When I have problems it's 99% cable related.

JB