Thread: Ursa Mini Pro now or wait for Blackmagic Pocket 4k?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by crevice22 View Post
    It's not that I hate the look, it is just that at least from what i see posted online, I enjoy the ursa look more.
    I believe you came to your own conclusion and know where to go from here. As to UMP now or BMP4K later, it all depends when you need it. Maybe rent a UMP until you see footage coming from the BMP4K to make that decision. Of course you'll have more DR and a larger sensor in the UMP over the BMP4K but that's not getting you the filmic look alone. Both cameras should be able to deliver filmic look if done right. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Haha,

anything but people.
    Unless they're kids.

It really depends on the kind of work you do.

But for me, the UMP is still the camera I like most in terms of DR and features.

The pocket 2 is such a great compliment to it based on it's smaller size, but for me the interchangeable mount flexibility, built in NDs, multiple SDI connections and of course dynamic range still give it primacy for me in my situation.

Whats awesome is how low cost the pocket 2 is so for many it won't be hard to have both !

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

But for me, the UMP is still the camera I like most in terms of DR and features.

The pocket 2 is such a great compliment to it based on it's smaller size, but for me the interchangeable mount flexibility, built in NDs, multiple SDI connections and of course dynamic range still give it primacy for me in my situation.

Whats awesome is how low cost the pocket 2 is so for many it won't be hard to have both !

JB
    Yeah I am just a hobbyist and even I will get both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

JB
    The price per feature measurement is insane with the P4K. For one UMP 4.6K, you could get 3 P4Ks and a switcher for a multi-cam setup. That's just nuts.

I’ve owned a pocket, bmcc, the micro and I’ve used the ump at work. The way I think about it is at some point I’m going to be asked to shoot enough bigger projects to justify buyin the ump but at this time the micro is enough. I love it and although I’m really itching for th ump I’m trying to focus on grading and really understanding framing and movement and lens choices. It’s tough though. I know I’m gonna get one and just writing this makes me think I’m talking out my butt. Thinking about cost it’s not just the camera I’d need a decent dolly and tripod etc. I also love running steadicam so that means getting a bigger arm and sled. I really do think you can make some beautiful images with canon cameras but if it’s not your esthetic move on. Try it. You’re gonna love it. Every time I get in davinci it makes me feel good. Grading canon footage is more of just acceptance at this point. There’s only so much I feel I can do with it. But then the bm strengths work for me. I like backlighting everything so with my style of shooting and my contax glass I’m set. There’s some other camera stystems I haven’t shot on yet kinefifnity etc but so far bm is perfect for me. Have you thought about your style of shooting and what camera compliments that best? Maybe that’s an aspect you could look at.

I am shooting a period piece this weekend. It's dated in the 70's. Going with a BMPCC and some vintage glasses to give it the look we're looking for. There's still a lot of breath in the BMPCC. Looking forward to the BMPCC4K.