Thread: Ursa Mini Pro now or wait for Blackmagic Pocket 4k?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was weighing up between the 4K and the Mini Pro as well but in the end the ND's, usability were big factors for me and after lugging around a BMCC rigged to its teeth I am glad I did. Have had a few shoots with it now and I just love the ease of use, was worried about the weight but its no heavier than my BMCC rig but much better balanced. Also the sensor size, extra DR and extra pixels come in useful for the VFX work I do. I am wrapped with Mini Pro, they really nailed it for mine (excluding the iris wheel position!).

Providing the image quality holds up, it will likely come down to form factor, as someone has already pointed out. What do you use it for? The low-light performance is also a massive plus (providing it does what it says on the tin)

From personal experience, the small form factor cameras usually carried weaker codecs, bit depth, and simply didn’t look professional for clients, which may seem silly, but depending on your line of work, it can be a big thing.

Now, however, the codecs are good, and the bit depth is good.

Personally I would always go for the small form factor camera, providing it can do what I need, as while I may lose out on functionality, I gain in other areas: gimbal use, low light, low profile shooting (try getting the UMP on the London Underground).

I’ve heard arguments, when people have complained about the low light performance of the UMP, saying that you should light everything. This is true, but you are unlikely to be able to light a full street, or a field, or the night sky, and if you’re wanting to capture these things in your shot, then low light will be key.

The sensor size is not an issue for me, as you can simply add a speedbooster.

First things first though, what do you need the camera to be able to do? Secondly, I’m assuming that you can wait, otherwise you wouldn’t be debating this camera, so wait and see what the image actually looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by southindie View Post

also , initial money put down for body only , it would be 1UMP to over 4Pocket4K's ..... another way to look at it
    Yeah. Get 4 Pocket4K (for the price of 1 UMP) and use the same lenses on each then you won't have difficulty matching shots in post.

Thanks for all your responses. I actually have a Canon C200 now and I am torn. I love the C200 in many areas and the image IQ is great, but there are some things that i am not in love with. For example, when comparing footage all over youtube and vimeo, I really like the look of the Ursa Mini Pro more, at least to my eye. It seems to have a more filmic color science and look to the footage. Something about the ursa compared to the c200, though obviously both digital, seems more organic. The reason why its such a tough choice, is the c200 is still amazing, has good auto focus and amazing low light. But, when I look at UMP footage, i always get this feeling of jealously, like "damn, i like the look of that". My dream camera (like everyone else) is an Alexa and this footage reminds me a bit of that.

I am a hobbyists who shoots on his spare time. I shoot everything, from little shorts for fun, weddings here and there, little art/docu pieces etc. Some of it is paid and some of it is not. I truly do it for the art and love. Which is why I am one of the few where its less of size/weight and how fast I can work. I can def by a pocket as well down the line, its cheap enough. I think my dilemma which I should have mentioned earlier, is more of do I sell my c200 or not. The reason I was choosing between the UMP and pocket, is because if I went with a pocket I would not need to sell my c200. If I go with the UMP, I def need to sell my c200.

I think if it's the colors you're not satisfied with coming out of your C200, and you're considering getting into a BMD camera, you might consider shooting your C200 in raw (light) and really getting into color grading, especially with Resolve, since that's kind of the expected workflow (color grading, that is) with BMD cameras. Not saying you have to shoot raw with BMD, or that color grading is required, but if that's where you're at in your craft, color grading will improve the already-fine C200 capabilities. If they had just included a 10-bit 4:2:2 in-camera ability on that camera, there would be much less gnashing of teeth over it. A lot of people don't want or need raw.

Both have their uses. If it does match up, one possibility is getting a UM4.6K + the Pocket 4K. That way you'll have both.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Have any of you used a c200 and a ursa mini pro? How do you like the image quality of the ursa mini pro compared the c200 (which is what i currently have)?

Quote Originally Posted by crevice22 View Post
    Have any of you used a c200 and a ursa mini pro? How do you like the image quality of the ursa mini pro compared the c200 (which is what i currently have)?
    I have used both and other URSA 4K (big and mini). The C200 is nice and ready to go. The color science of BMD is definitely more cinematic although I will say grading CRL delivers very nice images. I start with CRL and make by primary adjustments, then convert it to Canon Log 2, then do my secondary adjustments. As previously suggested, you should experiment with CRL and learn as much how to grade it in post using DaVinci. If you just take in the clip and apply the Canon LUT, you're going to miss out on the cinematic opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I have used both and other URSA 4K (big and mini). The C200 is nice and ready to go. The color science of BMD is definitely more cinematic although I will say grading CRL delivers very nice images. I start with CRL and make by primary adjustments, then convert it to Canon Log 2, then do my secondary adjustments. As previously suggested, you should experiment with CRL and learn as much how to grade it in post using DaVinci. If you just take in the clip and apply the Canon LUT, you're going to miss out on the cinematic opportunity.
    I second this. Wait until there are more (any?) examples of what the P4K looks like, especially under high contrast scenes, and in the meantime keep playing with CRL and learn how to utilize it to its greatest potential.
    Also remember an "organic filmic look) doesnt only come from color science and DR. It has to do (even more so in my opinion) with how well a sensor handles highlight and shadows clipping/rolloff/shoulder/blahblahblah. The UM4K has pretty limited DR in practice, but I'm finding that I'm able to get pretty clean highlight rolloff when (and its still a significant when because about 2/3rds of the time I sitll eff it up) I expose it properly. Obviously with the 4.6k chip this is much less of an issue because of the extra DR, but if you push the image, you'll see it in that chip as well.
    Dory Breaux
    Filmmaker/Photographer
    www.dorybreaux.com

Quote Originally Posted by DoryBreaux View Post
    I second this. Wait until there are more (any?) examples of what the P4K looks like, especially under high contrast scenes, and in the meantime keep playing with CRL and learn how to utilize it to its greatest potential.
    Also remember an "organic filmic look) doesnt only come from color science and DR. It has to do (even more so in my opinion) with how well a sensor handles highlight and shadows clipping/rolloff/shoulder/blahblahblah. The UM4K has pretty limited DR in practice, but I'm finding that I'm able to get pretty clean highlight rolloff when (and its still a significant when because about 2/3rds of the time I sitll eff it up) I expose it properly. Obviously with the 4.6k chip this is much less of an issue because of the extra DR, but if you push the image, you'll see it in that chip as well.
    I have used CRL enough to know what it can do it. Its a good codec, but it is still compressed a decent amount, especially considering the massive file types. It's more of the look that each camera produces, which to my eye is very different. Canon has a look I can spot a mile away, even with CRL. It's not that I hate the look, it is just that at least from what i see posted online, I enjoy the ursa look more.