Thread: Ursa Mini Pro now or wait for Blackmagic Pocket 4k?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini Pro now or wait for Blackmagic Pocket 4k? 
    I know, I know. Totally different beasts, but in reality, are they? I am after a filmic organic look and in comparing these 2 cameras, there does not seem to be a massive difference (or a least a big enough difference that warrants $4k more for the ursa pro), on paper at least. There are 2 extra stops of dynamic range for the ursa pro, but better iso performance by the pocket 4K. Obviously worse battery for the pocket 4k, but if we are comparing image quality alone, do you think that there would be a massive difference between the two? Similar sensor, minus size, but I would use a speedbooster. I am assuming the same color science. And even similar codecs.

It is obviously impossible to tell without footage, but while we wait, I would be interested in thoughts on comparing the 2 and if a ursi mini pro is a smart buy right now.

We haven't even seen any valid material from the P4K - there is nothing to compare, it's just to early to say anything.

Battery life should be roughly the same, as the Ursa Mini though.

The main difference is form factor and how the two cameras are used. Also, the UMPro uses different lens mounts, offering a larger variety of lens choice without using adapters. Final results in IQ, too early to tell, as Frank indicated, but probably very close. It mainly depends on how yiu use a camera, shoulder mount vs lock down on a tripod. Accessories and work flow.
    Cheers.

Well Grant said in his presentations, you would want the UMP if you are going to shoot people. So I guess the IQ of the UMP will outshine the pocket 4K. And also a camera today is better then a camera in a year. By the time the pocket 4K is out of the wild there will be rumours of another camera.

Honestly, if you need a camera now and have work to pay for it then go for the pro, if not then wait and see. There is always going to be something new. I have an original Pocket because it is a camera I can afford to own without it generating income for personal and passion projects. When the new one comes out I will have had it five years and can justify the upgrade. For me I would have to work the pro to justify the full kit. That has become my attitude towards cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Well Grant said in his presentations, you would want the UMP if you are going to shoot people.
    So what is the P4k for, shooting goats?

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Haha,

anything but people.

UMP has built in ND filters and 2 extra stops of dynamic range (on paper). These cameras have different uses so it depends on your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Cats. It's cats all the way down.

You're likely well aware of this so just a reminder , nothing more

an MFT sensor is an MFT sensor , with a Speedbooster you can change the FOV to Super35+ but the sensor size remains

also , initial money put down for body only , it would be 1UMP to over 4Pocket4K's ..... another way to look at it

Having a UMPro then later on a Pocket4K ( b cam ) is really appealing ..... 2cents