Thread: Does SAG - AFTRA really have any teeth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member SamuelJacobPauling's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Thanks Samual, confirms what I sort of already knew. Still curious about the status on big movies if anyone knows. I've been rally looking and the SAG logo is almost never there. iATSE always, sometimes Teamsters. They have all the big stars, I thought that was the leverage. I wonder if this is the reason behind SAG-indie, even though the ultra low rates look good, the small print makes your movie un releasable.

btw the low budget contracts, and even multimedia only apply to US shoots, and only in the home base of the actor you want, if they travel it is full rate plus travel days plus paid days off plus per dium plus union dues plus payroll company +++. Even though I'm sure that there are many who would be happy for the work with some of those extras lopped off.
    I can help answer your questions regarding SAG, as we're doing that for our next IMAX picture with a-list. I'm just not sure what you're question is? Could you rephrase, please?
    Best,
    Samuel Jacob

Junior Member Thomas Koveleskie's Avatar
    Yes SAG does have teeth and for good reason. Like any Union, SAG keeps actors from being exploited and helps them secure their future. Most SAG actors will not declare Financial Core unless they are very established and it will not hurt their career. They have built up clout if you will. When you declare Fi-Core you are no longer a SAG member although you will continue to pay dues. They classify you as a Fee Paying Non Member and you have to petition and incur fees to get your SAG status back.

There is a way that SAG will work with you to use SAG actors with a mix of non union actors. They will grant a waiver under certain conditions. The non union cast will benefit by having the production count as one of their 3 required projects to join SAG.

If you are not at a point in your career that you can properly adhere to and fulfill the responsibilities of a SAG contract then I would not use SAG actors. It can come back to bite you. Audition and find the best up and coming non SAG actors you can find.

Thomas Koveleskie - Producer
    Quarter Town Films
    Last edited by Thomas Koveleskie; 06-04-2018 at 01:51 PM.