Thread: NEW Authentic Kodak LUT for BMCC & URSA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member SamuelJacobPauling's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ru31jan View Post
    Could you point me to the source where it says that the LUT Deakins uses emulates Kodak stock? Only information I could find is that the LUT he uses changes the contrast and saturation to his liking.
    Hey man - You're right. I didn't read about it either. I just spoke with Efilm for work of my own - they based it on a Film Look... here's why I phrase it like that. Sure, they got him the curves he wants, and it's not a "Film Emulation" exactly. But, the colorist Mitch Paulson, gave him something that worked close to home.

I'll rephrase my intended quote. Roger, coming from Film, wanted something organic that felt like film without shooting film. Perhaps, I should be careful with my words, but I know that Mitch spent some good quality time to make that LUT appear as it does (and Roger uses it for practically every film). Trust me, that Alexa look he has, isn't a simple Curve and Saturation. There's some modeling after a filmic look in there.

How it relates to the LUT we're working on, is... Simply we want to give a Base LUT that you can use on the field and another flatter version to grade from. There will be variations of it. It won't be similiar to what you've found before. If it were, I wouldn't be working on it. I'm actually working on it for myself as we're shooting IMAX & 35mm, and have an Alexa 65 that needs the same color science to emulate the kodak stock. (we will also release the IMAX grain that we're using to overlay on large format digital cameras. That Alexa65 is TOO CLEAN!!!)

I figured we would throw a few other cameras in the mix and see how the community likes them. I guess, if you're interested your interested.
    Best,
    Samuel Jacob

Senior Member SamuelJacobPauling's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    And about: "Yes, you won't be able to modify the Kelvin Wheel after applying the LUT".
    Really? How is that possible. I i change the white balance before If apply a lut it should also change the tone.
    Tested filmconvert and Impulz. I am not a huge fan of luts because if you be accurate those "Filmluts" while give you a pink cast.
    Like in the original Star Trek TNG TV Series. So whats the point to convert "digital film" to a "analog film" (with pink cast or whatever) and after
    that you have to color grade that pink cast. I got good results with filmconvert but only using it as a reference.
    And grade without any luts. But no hate agains LUTs. I am very interested in seeing more "film convert" luts.. without a pink tint...
    but that gives you "the feel" of analog film.

Oh! Sure you can modify the Tempature wheel, or any color wheel. Here's why I say this... To get an accurate reading in the color, you should shoot Tungsten or Daylight only (as you would on Film) Don't change the settings... Just apply the Daylight or Tungsten LUT (whichever you shot on) then you can alter Colors afterwards. The idea is to keep the same color science consistant. You can change color temp after the Base LUT.

After scanning and understanding what RAW film looks like flat, sometimes highlights CAN lean into the pinks if not color corrected. But, a professional lab like Fotokem usually does this correction. That's what we're paying for and that's what the LUT offers. I've used FilmConvert in the past, and I love them... I don't want to say anything negative about them. But, I need what I'm making for a major motion-picture... So, I hope you kinda get the idea of where this is going.

Again, there will be a 'Flat version' & 'Corrected Version'. So you can choose whatever you'd like.

Touching on "the film look", I'm not sure it's Pink that gives that look. It would be how every color responds. Film is known to have a beautiful range of color complexities that are distintively different than just mocking up a digital film to "appear" like film.

I know theres a great LUT out there called Linny LUT (for $600) that models the Kodak stock (not sure if they have Daylight, Tungsten, Push and Pull options... or even what it was scanned on, that really determines how it looks) But we will. And we'll have all the technical aspects displayed somewhere before downloading.
    Best,
    Samuel Jacob