Thread: Miami Fashion Film shot on UMP

1. #1 Miami Fashion Film shot on UMP 
    Junior Member cassiusthedirector's Avatar
    Hey guys, I directed/shot a fashion film starring the former Victoria's Secret & Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model Alicia Hall. She's also the founder of the brand. Link is below and some stills are attached. Gear list, recording & upload codec are below as well. Would love to hear any feedback you guys have!

https://vimeo.com/267335005

Also, just a small complaint about the H264 codec/vimeo compression -- I found a slight color shift from a reddish dominant hue in the image (particularly the skin tones) to a slight greenish cast that occurred during the export & upload. Not sure if you've found something similar but maybe something to be wary of. Outside of that, I couldn't be happier with the UMP -- so intuitive to operate and produces truly stunning images.

Camera: Ursa Mini Pro
    Lens: Sigma Art 50-100mm (mostly shot wide open)
    Recorded in ProRes 422 HQ at UHD
    Support: Handheld/Shoulder Mount with EasyRig Cinema 3
    Export: via Premiere Pro in H264 in Vimeo's 4k codec
    Lighting: all natural light that we supplemented with a 4x4 bounce or silver surfer

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.55.21.jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.55.09.jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.55.03.jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.54.43.jpg
    Attached Images

nice.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    nice.
    Thanks!

Looks good.

Holding the ball shot was really underlit on her face but the rest was good.

Try less shakey hand-held. Try using sticks with a good fluid head for moving around the subject, and subtle zoom-ins and outs on the tripod.
    I got hammered by the client on a Fashion shoot once for having too much hand-held... they pointed out that they were paying me to showcase their product, not my camera moves.
    ...And they were right. Usually the whole point of these is to show off the clothing or jewelry or the model.

You got great looks though.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 05-08-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Looks good.

Try less shakey hand-held. Try using sticks with a good fluid head for moving around the subject, and subtle zoom-ins and outs the tripod.
    I got hammered by the client on a Fashion shoot once for having too much hand-held... they pointed out that they were paying me to showcase their product, not my camera moves.
    ...And they were right. Usually the whole point of these is to show off the clothing or jewelry or the model.

Same thing happened to me with a runway client. Too many creative shots. They liked the wide almost locked-off shot the most.

It looks great, but the shakiness does pop out. Even with a shoulder mount you can hold a frame on a subject if you aren't too tight; crop in later. If you really have trouble holding the camera still on your subject, 60fps slowmo is your friend. Need an insert of a feature on a clothing design? Direct your talent to not move around so much (all opinions, take with a grain of salt).

As for h.264, I rarely finish in that. Rendering in dnxhr/hd, prores, or even grassvalley will solve any color shifting issues you run into with compression.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 05-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Looks good.

Try less shakey hand-held. Try using sticks with a good fluid head for moving around the subject, and subtle zoom-ins and outs on the tripod.

Thank you for the feedback. I could definitely see the handheld potentially taking away from featuring the product -- that's a great note. I'll look to incorporate it in the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Same thing happened to me with a runway client. Too many creative shots. They liked the wide almost locked-off shot the most.

It looks great, but the shakiness does pop out. Even with a shoulder mount you can hold a frame on a subject if you aren't too tight; crop in later. If you really have trouble holding the camera still on your subject, 60fps slowmo is your friend. Need an insert of a feature on a clothing design? Direct your talent to not move around so much (all opinions, take with a grain of salt).

As for h.264, I rarely finish in that. Rendering in dnxhr/hd, prores, or even grassvalley will solve any color shifting issues you run into with compression.
    Appreciate the notes. I could've definitely been more specific with direction re: the model's movement & stillness. And for the finishing export codec, I feel you -- I would have finished in prores, but I wanted to play with the codec that Vimeo has in Premiere, which is h264 and they claim results in better video quality on their platform than say prores. I'm not sure that's actually the case though. I'll export a prores file of this and pixel peep and see what's what. Thanks!