Thread: Would you still get an URSA Mini 4K?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Would you still get an URSA Mini 4K? 
    Okay, this question comes with a few assumptions. With the understanding that the BMPCC4K is an M43 sensor and that a Speed Booster is available to give a larger FOV over the S35 on the URSA Mini 4K and 4.6K, you don't really need 4.6K (4K is enough), better ISO range and all the announced features, would you still get an URSA Mini 4K or will you get the BMPCC4K with SB? Doesn't it just seem logical to do so? Why or Why Not?

I can think of one reason, more DR on the URSA Mini 4K. But will the BMPCC4K generate IQ that could surpass the URSA Mini at 13 stops of DR? URSA Mini 4K has Gen 3 color science while the BMPCC4K has a Gen 4 cs. Does this make the BMPCC4K equally capable as the URSA Mini 4K to be a primary camera on set?

If youíre assuming that you have one of the speedboosters on the P4K, the main advantages of the UM4K, I think, are the ergonomics for feature/studio-work, SDI and global shutter. And if they include a global shutter option in the P4K (if possible, not sure if it would be?)) in the future... I think with the dual iso itís going to outperform the UM4K in the shadows. Iím going to sell mine after the P4K releases and expecting the value to drop and to have a hard time selling it. Gen 4 color science is much improved over 3 and HDR-ready..

Pretty much think the P4K kind of kills the UM4K and the two best options are that or the UMP or Broadcast depending on your needs.

URSA Mini 4k is like 1.7 crop it sit between true S35 and M43. The P4K with XL Speedbooster is about 1.2 crop and sit between FF and true S35. The difference in crop is almost like comparing a Nikon FF and APS-C cameras. They are not even close.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 04-16-2018 at 10:45 PM.

As far as DR, UM4K is probably like 11.5 stops...what is the BMPCC 4K supposed to be?

No way. Already I would choose a GH5S over the UM4K. The UM4K has the better form factor, but the BMPCC will without a doubt have better IQ.

Perhaps Blackmagic will soon replace the UM4K with a Pro Body & the BMPCC sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    As far as DR, UM4K is probably like 11.5 stops...what is the BMPCC 4K supposed to be?
    I think UM4K is 12 stops and BMPCC 4K is 13 stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    If you’re assuming that you have one of the speedboosters on the P4K, the main advantages of the UM4K, I think, are the ergonomics for feature/studio-work, SDI and global shutter. And if they include a global shutter option in the P4K (if possible, not sure if it would be?)) in the future... I think with the dual iso it’s going to outperform the UM4K in the shadows. I’m going to sell mine after the P4K releases and expecting the value to drop and to have a hard time selling it. Gen 4 color science is much improved over 3 and HDR-ready..

Pretty much think the P4K kind of kills the UM4K and the two best options are that or the UMP or Broadcast depending on your needs.
    I pretty much agree. If only the P4K has GS and SDI, that would do it and be good for feature/studio-work. I guess you can put an HDMI to SDI mini-converter if that is even possible. You can also get 2 BMPC4K for the price of 1 UM4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    URSA Mini 4k is like 1.7 crop it sit between true S35 and M43. The P4K with XL Speedbooster is about 1.2 crop and sit between FF and true S35. The difference in crop is almost like comparing a Nikon FF and APS-C cameras. They are not even close.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Get a XL Speedbooster or probably metabones will make one specifically for the BMP4K with better crop on both FF and APS-C lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    No way. Already I would choose a GH5S over the UM4K. The UM4K has the better form factor, but the BMPCC will without a doubt have better IQ.

Perhaps Blackmagic will soon replace the UM4K with a Pro Body & the BMPCC sensor.
    I think BM could easily come up with something to rival the eva-1. Eva would of course have the dynamic range advantage though.

But take the rear 5 inch screen of the pocket 4k, put it on a flip joint on the side, ND filters, SDI, full size xlr and 2x sd 2x Cfast, run it on sony NP-F batteries, keep the amazing USB-C functionality, pocket 4k sensor, MFT mount. Aim for 2-2.5k USD with resolve studio. Keep it light and small like the eva. 2k USD leaves room for a speed booster which of course brings in the crop factor. Boom winning the indie cinema market easily.

To be honest with the current size of the "pocket" I'm not sure why this wasn't the product already. Well I do know why, pocket sells haha.

Yeah I would pass on the ursa mini 4K. A buddy of mine has one. Allthough global shutter is awesome. The image does not come close to my ursa mini pro.