Thread: Farewell BMPCC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Farewell BMPCC 
    The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, the longest camera on the market sold by BMD, is no where to be found on their website anymore. It will be just a matter of time vendors will be posting it as discontinued. Farewell BMPCC. You've been a great camera for many of us here.

Definitely was an era.

I was wondering when this would happen. It's a great camera and I don't think I'll ever sell mine. I'm anxious to get hold of the BMPCC4k... I'm curious to see where it might fit in the kit; B CAM... second unit A CAM... primary camera for quick interviews in the office?

On a side note - I recently pulled out the old Panasonic HPX-500 while going through some old gear. For kicks, I grabbed some quick shots around the office and compared the footage to a BMPCC that I happened to bring in that day. While I wasn't surprised that the Pocket had more perceived resolution (probably real too, I didn't shoot any charts), I wasn't prepared for how striking the difference in color was... I know the HPX500 is an 8bit camera... but, man, I didn't realize how used I had gotten to the 10 and 12bit images from the Pocket. At $495, it set a personal record for best money spent on a video capture device... ever.

Shawn

Not surprised, seemed a bit silly sitting on the web site beside the new one for essentially the same price. I'm guessing no liquidation discounts though, there wasn't any for Bmcc or bmpc4k.

I wonder if this means shipping is closer than expected, or if they are just converting a production line.

Ahhh..well...

I will be keeping my pair of BMPCCs for sure. They are worth more as a tool than the few dollars they would bring used. There is still no competition for it at its tiny size. And 1080p with BMPCC quality will always be fine for closeups.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Yes, the BMPCC was a sweet little camera. Sometimes, I wish I had kept mine, as it was one of the pre-Production first run batch sent out to dealers for a demo camera.
    Cheers

The original BMPCC is the only true pocket size camera that does RAW recording.

Rather sad. It's clear the new camera will be 'better' in so many ways, but I imagine it won't have that very characteristic image of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I wonder if this means shipping is closer than expected...

I wondered the same considering that they took the time to set up the page so that it can switch between the 4K and the OG. I would assume they designed the page that way because they intended to sell the new one for a little longer. I doubt they would have designed it that way if they only intended that version of the site to be live for less than a week. Then you also have to consider that the side no longer says it's coming in September, just "Coming soon"

I mean, it’s not 4K but if you toss an OLPF in there and keep shooting RAW it’s still a totally usable camera. Who says we need to say goodbye?