Thread: Pocket 4K feature(firmware) requests

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I believe a number of folks already mentioned the removable battery door so that a battery grip can be added to the base. Another is an open API to the camera capabilities via the bluetooth interface (much preferred) or the USB-C port. This will give the camera extreme flexibility in terms of remote access functionalities.

First, the battery door is not a firmware item, next, the new Pocket,already has a removable battery door, previously posted on thr BMPC4K thread discussion.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I believe a number of folks already mentioned the removable battery door so that a battery grip can be added to the base. Another is an open API to the camera capabilities via the bluetooth interface (much preferred) or the USB-C port. This will give the camera extreme flexibility in terms of remote access functionalities.
    You will be able to use the same Bluetooth protocol and app (from the app store) that is available for the URSA Mini with this camera.

Yes. Higher compression options

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    Electronic Image Stabilization... even if it means cropping in on sensor when enabled. It could make the camera more useful if you have to go handheld.
    Yes this would be "crappy EIS" which is why I think it might be possible in firmware depending on the camera's ability to crop in and shift pixels in real time.
    While this isn't the camera to go handheld with but sometimes you just gotta. I'm willing to sacrifice a little image resolution when this is needed.
    Another reason I want this is there were times I had to do this with the original Pocket and post stabilization aways looked bad due to the rolling shutter on micro jitter. This even when I used stabilization software that could build a camera specific rolling shutter profile.
    Of course if the rolling shutter is really minimized I can just stabilize in post and be done with it.

EIS is never going to be as good as stabilization in post, and depending on how bad it is (like that watery effect I usually see), damages the video beyond repair so you can't even fix that problem in post (at least until deep learning algorithms figure this out).

A better request would be for vastly improved stabilzation in Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    You will be able to use the same Bluetooth protocol and app (from the app store) that is available for the URSA Mini with this camera.
    Kristian, where can I find documentation on the BMD Bluetooth protocol (or API)?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Kristian, where can I find documentation on the BMD Bluetooth protocol (or API)?
    We're just getting some of the developer related stuff ready on the website but you can find documentation here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/dev...product/camera

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Gotta second a few of the "no-brainers" that we know the hardware should be capable of supporting:
    - Full sensor (anamorphic)
    - Guides
    - Waveform
    - 48fps

If you listen interviews with BMD from NAB, it's obvious they don't WANT to support ProRes RAW. They'll only do it if forced. So let's force them!
    If it has 3:1 and 4:1 Compressed RAW then why the push for ProRes RAW? It's still just Compressed RAW, and we really don't know how good it even really is yet.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    If it has 3:1 and 4:1 Compressed RAW then why the push for ProRes RAW? It's still just Compressed RAW, and we really don't know how good it even really is yet.
    I've seen lots of people express unhappiness with the "folder of frames" instead of a single file approach and which results in a less compute-intensive workflow. The latter is the most relevant to more people, I suspect. Lots of people still stuck on 2013-era Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    We're just getting some of the developer related stuff ready on the website but you can find documentation here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/dev...product/camera
    Kristian, thank you for this. I read the controls document and wow that is pretty robust. I wished I had an UMP or the BMPCC4K is available now for purchase so I can write code to build apps on IOS to take advantage of the many functionality that could be controlled remotely. This is progress in the right direction. I'm looking forward to September for the BMPCC4K and experiment with the control code and bluetooth protocol.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-16-2018 at 12:38 AM.