Thread: Pocket 4K feature(firmware) requests

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Frameline generator w/ the usual 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.39, but also user customizable frame line generators with color/opacity options for the look around area outside the frame, a la small HD . Lot of shoots now want to shoot for square format too for social media so a 1:1 option would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Allen csc View Post
    Frameline generator w/ the usual 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.39, but also user customizable frame line generators with color/opacity options for the look around area outside the frame, a la small HD . Lot of shoots now want to shoot for square format too for social media so a 1:1 option would be nice too.
    +1 for a square format frameguide.

YES! 4:3 anamorphic mode, please!
    Tyler Jordan
    http://www.theartoftylerjordan.com

Photographer - DP - Studio Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    The more I read about it, the more I hope ProRes raw will be available by the time it ships, looks to be the sweet spot in terms of quality vs data rate. Just from a workflow standpoint I like the fact that shots are self contained files rather than folders of frames.
    From a data rate perspective, it's on-par with lossy compressed CinemaDNG though (3:1 = Prores RAW HQ, 4:1 = Prores RAW). Also the CinemaDNG standard supports using an MXF wrapper instead of just storing things in a directory. So sure, one could be better in actuality but on paper they're very comparable especially if we can get BMD to add the option to record in an MXF wrapper.

Are we just talking into the wind here, or does someone who can actually make decisions at Blackmagic use a thread such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Are we just talking into the wind here, or does someone who can actually make decisions at Blackmagic use a thread such as this?
    A few prominent Blackmagic employees such as Captain Hook read this forum a lot so it’s worthwhile to voice opinions.

In an interview from NAB a BMD rep clearly state that in testing they can get upto 100fps full sensor. I wonder if that might be aspect ratio crop like the Terra 4k?
    If it is successful I would like to see that in the UMP/UM4.6k firmware update.

I've seen some people wishing it had a 48fps setting. Kind of ridiculous to have 30 and 60 but not 48.

Gotta second a few of the "no-brainers" that we know the hardware should be capable of supporting:
    - Full sensor (anamorphic)
    - Guides
    - Waveform
    - 48fps

If you listen interviews with BMD from NAB, it's obvious they don't WANT to support ProRes RAW. They'll only do it if forced. So let's force them!

I suspect the battle over ProRes RAW is a proper (favorable) licensing deal. In the interviews they seem to imply they have a lot of work to do get the their color science to work with ProRes RAW.
    I don't doubt BMD feels they're in the driver seat with this because if Apple wants this to go in camera and see wide acceptance rather than limited to ATMOS, Apple will have to find a willing camera manufacturer. You know the BMPC4K is going to be widely used.
    My gut says Apple will give BMD what they want so they can implement. That will also mean ProRes Raw in Resolve in addition to FCPX, which isn't a bad thing for BMD especially if PremierePro then has to play catchup.