Thread: 10mm Samyang EF-S on BMMCC + 70D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the feedback and info it's really useful! I'd never considered Nikon mounts but I can totally see where you're coming from. I only have two lenses for my Canon both Canon EF-S made and a cheap 50mm C-mount for the BMMMCC (with C-mount adapter) so I'm at a good place to pick a specific mount and stick with it.

Whilst we're discussing the 10mm Samyang, I've heard great things about it but has anyone got any experience with the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1? It costs a fair bit more but doesn't have the fixed hood that the Samyang does and has a lower T-stop, wondering if it's worth it especially as it doesn't come in the various mount options discussed here. The only downside I can see, as DPStewart mentioned above is that you're then buying glass that you can't add a Speedbooster to.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertRacer View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback and info it's really useful! I'd never considered Nikon mounts but I can totally see where you're coming from. I only have two lenses for my Canon both Canon EF-S made and a cheap 50mm C-mount for the BMMMCC (with C-mount adapter) so I'm at a good place to pick a specific mount and stick with it.

Whilst we're discussing the 10mm Samyang, I've heard great things about it but has anyone got any experience with the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1? It costs a fair bit more but doesn't have the fixed hood that the Samyang does and has a lower T-stop, wondering if it's worth it especially as it doesn't come in the various mount options discussed here. The only downside I can see, as DPStewart mentioned above is that you're then buying glass that you can't add a Speedbooster to.
    You could also get the Samyang 10mm in Canon mount, but the Speedbooster for EF is really costly - Like $650.

As for the SLR Magic 10mm - I had the 12mm and it was a fantastic lens. I sold it because without Speedbooster capability the crop factor put it into a focal length that I have covered three times over by other lenses that match each other better.
    SLR Magic lenses are very, very good, but they have a character to them that often doesn't match with other lenses we'd typically buy in this price range, so the only way to really maximize on that is to get a whole set of them. That's what I had originally planned to do, but then the Sigma ART stuff came along and I went that direction instead. Mainly to incorporate the 18-35mm, but also because they match the look of the Sam/Roks and Nikons better.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I have used both the SLR Magic 12mm and the newer 10mm MFT lens on the Pocket camera, sold the 12mm, as the 10mm was Mitch better, wider AOV and better controlled CA, with a lot less edge fringing. There are several video examples on line on the SLR Magic 10mm.
    Between the two, I would get the SLR Magic over the Samyang, as the SLR Magic is a lot better construction and I prefer it overall IQ to the other MFT 10mm lenses. Also, 10mm is an Ultra Wide on MFT format and a solid WA on S16 with a 72-degree AOV on the BM S16 Cameras.
    Cheers