Thread: 10mm Samyang EF-S on BMMCC + 70D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 10mm Samyang EF-S on BMMCC + 70D 
    Hi all,

I am hoping to buy a 10mm Samyang/Rokinon lens for my BMMCC but I also own a Canon 70D.

If I buy an EF-S mount 10mm Samyang (instead of a MFT one so I can also use it on the 70D) and a passive EF-S to MFT mount, would this effect the focal length greatly and therefore the field of view when it's mounted to the BMMCC? Am I better off buying a MFT Mount 10mm and stick to using EF-S lenses on the 70D as I currently do? Ultimately I want to achieve fairly wide shots on the BMMCC so that's my priority here.

This is most likely a question that has been repeated over the years but would be great to get some clarification!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I currently don't own a speedbooster of any kind.

Buy the Nikon version and dummy adapters for both cameras. Won't affect the focal length and adapters for Nikon-to-any camera is usually cheaper than other mounts.

I use the EF-S 16mm Rokinon on my Micro with a Photodiox passive adaptor. The adaptor doesn't impact the focal length or field of view at all, you'll get a 64° field of view with either the MFT mount 10mm or the adapted EF-S mount 10mm.

From what I can tell the two lenses are literally the same, just the MFT mount option is longer, so realistically the MFT is the same lens just with an adaptor built into the body. It has not been optimized for the shorter flange distance, so getting the EF-S version and using an adaptor gives you the greatest flexibility with the fewest converters.

DEFINITELY get the Nikon version like Tolin suggests.
    I have nearly this exact setup - Pockets and a T2i, and that killer Samyang 10mm. The Nikon version goes on either with a very inexpensive adapter. Plus it leaves you the option of getting a speedbooster for the Micro - something I strongly advocate for ALL Blackmagic MFT mount cameras.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

"Rather than getting a lens that fits one camera and getting an adaptor for the other, get a lens that doesn't fit either and get TWO adaptors instead!" is a big mood, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    "Rather than getting a lens that fits one camera and getting an adaptor for the other, get a lens that doesn't fit either and get TWO adaptors instead!" is a big mood, apparently.

Nikon F to MFT --- $8.99
    Nikon F to EF-S --- $10.99

Having your lenses in Nikon F-mount isn't just good for Speed Booster compatibility, but aside from the Samyang/Rokinon lenses, most non-Cine lenses in EF-S or MFT-mount don't have a physical aperture ring; Whereas a lot of Nikon-mount lenses still come with one due to the lack of electronic lens control in older cameras. If you buy lenses without an aperture ring in e.g. EF-S mount and want to adapt that to another camera, you're looking at around a hundred bucks for one with electronic support.
    With Nikon you're free to adapt wherever and you always have the option to go Speed Booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    but aside from the Samyang/Rokinon lenses
    That would all be fantastic advice if literally any of it applied to the actual question that was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    That would all be fantastic advice if literally any of it applied to the actual question that was asked.
    I don't know about your lens collection but mine is all one mount. Pretty convenient! I simply take for granted the Samyang 10mm isn't the last lens Rupert will buy.
    Set a good standard, stick to it and you'll save money long term. I can mount all my Nikon lenses to Canon-bodies with Speed Boosters - that's not something I'd be able to do if they were Canon mount. Just one of the benefits! And cheapest Canon to MFT adapter I could find pn Amazon was $23.99. Even though we're not talking giant sums that's more than twice as much as the Nikon adapter.

I can understand the Nikon mount thing, but at this point it seems silly to tell a canon shooter to buy Nikon mount lenses unless they are made by Nikon. All kinds of cinema cameras are canon mount. I for one don't like the little shim ring adapters that go from Nikon to canon, there is not much difference in the MFT adapters. A fully manual lens only needs dumb adapters. Don't bother with the MFT version of the 10 mm there is no difference optically with an adapter. It is the same lens with a built in factory adapter.

My advice on the whole thing - never buy an MFT lens at all. Because THAT is the one that's the most limited. I don't ever buy them. Ever. The only reason I have a couple at all is because they came with my GH2 and GH3.
    As good as the Verdras are - and they ARE GREAT - I would never put money into glass I can't add a Speedbooster to. The MFT mount is fantastic for this, but that doesn't mean you ever have to buy an MFT lens.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine