Thread: Value of the Micro Cinema Camera now that there is a Pocket 2?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The new Pocket camera has a 18x10mm full size MFT sensor (same as the GH5S), but can do a HD/2K window mode for 16/S16 lenses.
    This should keep the anti S16 police at bay.
    Cheers
    Well, this depends. A 1:1 HD crop is going to be 8.4mm x 5mm, substantially smaller than the Micro's 12.48mm x 7.02mm sensor.

If you thought the Micro's 3.02x crop factor was punishing, that's potentially a 4.18x crop factor on the HD window.

A 1:1 2.8k (2880x1620) crop would use basically the same area of the sensor as the Micro AND would give a resolution boost over HD, so I think they should absolutely implement exactly that feature.

Official petition: Dear Grant Petty, please implement a 2.8k Super 16 crop mode on the new Pocket camera.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    A 1:1 2.8k (2880x1620) crop would use basically the same area of the sensor as the Micro AND would give a resolution boost over HD, so I think they should absolutely implement exactly that feature.

Official petition: Dear Grant Petty, please implement a 2.8k Super 16 crop mode on the new Pocket camera.
    That would be very cool.

If they did the S16 widow, I would definitely buy one! Right now, I am sitting in the fence.
    Cheers

Some thoughts after all that NAB hype:

Pocket cinema Camera 4K sensor size too small for 16mm film lenses in HD mode, and too large in 4K mode for some native Micro4/3 lenses. Or am i read something wrong?

Only one LP-E6 battery for 5inch full HD monitor and 4K sensor with active cooling system. Real life battery probably will hold it half an hour.

Dual ISO. I can understand how it may work in ProRes mode, but can't get how it will work in RAW mode? If it just auto-switches in camera and baked in RAW files, we will lost that beautiful Expose flexibility available in BMMCC and other BAE/Fairchild Imaging dual gain sensors.

Dynamic range. From calculations in this post http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post247954 we can see that mathematically new Sony sensor have less dynamic range than older BAE/Fairchild Imaging sensors. But it just a theory, real life tests may be different.

Why put new barely used DC power plug socket? Really why? What wrong with common 5.5 mm power socket used in all other BM cameras and devices?

BMMCC needs less storage, less computer specs to edit HD video.

Pocket cinema Camera 4K Storage Rates:
    4096 x 2160
    CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 128 MB/s
    CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 96 MB/s

3840 x 2160
    Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 110 MB/s

1920 x 1080
    Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 27.5 MB/s

SanDisk ExtremePRO 128GB UHS-II = $250 (Did camera compatible with UHS-I compatible cards?)
    SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB CFast 2.0 Memory Card = $340
    To record 1 hour of 4K footage you probably need to deal with 512GB card.
    SanDisk Extreme PRO 512GB CFast 2.0 Memory Card = $1000
    Fast USB 3.1 External SSD = $200-300 but adds size, unsafe sticking bottom cables, is it reliable for handled shooting? Is it guarantees no dropped frames?

BMMCC Storage Rates
    1920 x 1080
    CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 33 MB/s
    Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 27.5 MB/s

To record 1 hour of 4K footage you need 128GB card.
    SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB UHS-I = $65

No RAW in HD cropped sensor mode?
    Last edited by shijan; 04-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

The new MFT sensor will work with all the native MFT lenses, some of the older photo kit lenses will not work as well and will have more optical issues, but sensor coverage should not be an issue. The GH2 had a similar size sensor.

The new power connector on the Pocket Camera 4K is not new as such, it is a industry standard 2 pin LEMO - 12V connector used on a lot of larger Cinema cameras. It’s advantage over the BM 5.5mm barrel is the LEMO connector locks, like the DIN SDI connector. Cables are readily available and should not be an issue.

Agreed, a 2.xK S16 window would be nice to add to the camera, as I previously commented on.

The sensor Dynamic RCS Ge is listed as 14-stops, Panasonic capped theirs at 12 stops on the GH5S VLogL to keep files compatible with the EVA1. So BM should be able to get 13-stops like the Pocket Camera had.

Yes, shooting 4K is going to eat up your storage media. But you should get some very nice HD recordings, with HD downsampled from the 4K/UHD sensor. I shoot the Micro Studio 4K doensampled to HD, with good lighting I get great results.
    For larger less expensive media, external USB-C SSD drives are very compact, and less expensive per Gig of storage space if yiu do want to shoot large 4K files.

But I hear what you are saying Dmitry.
    Cheers

Yep, full sensor downsampled to HD probably may be the best option here. Less nose, less more, FPN, less storage space.
    That LEMO power connector is really not to reliable as people may expected. Sure it is pleasure to latch it, but pins are very small, it shakes and may lost connection for a very small moment, it is large, expensive. Hard to find outside US. Just don't get why they put it in customer grade camera.
    I used similar connector on MixPre preamp, always need to get DIY cable adapter on location. Later i just open the MixPre enclosure and replace it with with common 5.5mm connector
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

I have never had an issue with the LEMO connector on my MixPre, but you need to be carful when using them, to get it aligned correctly.
    Wooden Camera uses them on their power distribution boxes, Red on their csmera power connections, also Alexia and more.

That said Dmitry, another option would be a locking barrel connector like Sound Devices uses in the MixPreD which will also work with a non-locking barrel connector.
    Cheers

I could've sworn I saw one of the BM reps say that it is indeed a full sensor 1080p downscale for up to 60p?? I've watched many videos and I can't recall which though.

Yes, that is my take also. I think Grant mentioned this in his press conference. The HD window is for 120 fps overcranking.
    Cheers