Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 113 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1328
    Continuous auto focus that really works is more complicated than just adding firmware, the sensor has to be designed for this application at the start. The Panasonic GH5S even has issues keeping a good solid continuous automfocus locked in, using the same sensor. Canon seems to be the leader in fast working true continuous auto focus. The best we can hope for is face recognition AF like the GH5/5S has.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    I had a chance to play with the 4K Pocket at Cinegear yesterday. Itís solidly built and lightweight. The menu is a joy to use. Hereís some information I have not seen posted elsewhere Ė AUTOFOCUS: When you press the focus button, a square appears in the center of the frame and the camera will autofocus on whatever is in the square. Thatís it. There is no continuous autofocus. EXPOSURE: Similar to autofocus Ė when you press the exposure button, the camera will set the exposure for the scene and thatís it. The exposure is locked and will not change until you press the button again, or manually adjust the iris. Captain Hook from Blackmagic was present and I asked him if continuous exposure and continuous autofocus could be implemented in the future. He said both were possibilities they would look at, but he couldnít give a definite yes or no. I also mentioned that a lot of people in the forum were asking for a waveform monitor. He said a waveform monitor is very computational intensive. He didnít rule it out, but the feeling I got was, probably not.
    I'll likely be content with push to auto-focus and auto-exposure. I want to remain in control. Of course there are scenarios in which someone might reasonably want it to continuously adjust, but if that's the case, I'd say something like a GH5 might be a better choice.

The push AF/AE has been the same on BM cameras since 2012...I don't expect any major improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    I'll likely be content with push to auto-focus and auto-exposure. I want to remain in control. Of course there are scenarios in which someone might reasonably want it to continuously adjust, but if that's the case, I'd say something like a GH5 might be a better choice.
    I would give up on every auto or assisted control, in exchange for a footage that has same motion cadence and dr of the Alexa mini (even just the prior pocket), and eventual open gate.

Itís simply incredible that with less than couple of thousands, we now have access to this type of tools.

If you have a good story to tell, these are exciting times.

The question of the technology advancement becomes - which will come first, great color, etc in a Canon with DPAF (soon to be QPAF), or great AF added to cameras from Panasonic or BMD? I think Sony is in the middle of that equation, but they really dropped the ball (threw it down, really) with the FS5II. They had a chance to kill the C200 with it by adding a9-level AF and full on internal 10-bit 4K and raw, but only went with the (admittedly great) color science overhaul. The a7SIII will be remarkably telling. If it's stuck with 8-bit, then that gives Panasonic a good opening. Never underestimate Canon's ability to screw hybrid video customers. Or even video customers - no 10-bit in the C200 was a pretty huge slap in the face.

In our push for auto-focus and auto-exposure... let's all remember that the name of this camera is the 4k Pocket CINEMA Camera. And in CINEMA applications WE MUST be in control of exactly where the focus is. ALWAYS.
    So "Auto" functions would be more than likely to NOT work the way we would want them to.

As for the cameras that DO those auto-functions well - they are clearly geared towards different users ans the hardware compromises to go that route are readily apparent.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    In our push for auto-focus and auto-exposure... let's all remember that the name of this camera is the 4k Pocket CINEMA Camera. And in CINEMA applications WE MUST be in control of exactly where the focus is. ALWAYS.
    So "Auto" functions would be more than likely to NOT work the way we would want them to.

As for the cameras that DO those auto-functions well - they are clearly geared towards different users ans the hardware compromises to go that route are readily apparent.
    Tech is moving pretty quick, I feel the next wave of cameras will all be touting amazing auto focus and IQ. I agree that atm there's still obvious compromises but I believe all cameras will soon have tracking as standard. Porbably in the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Tech is moving pretty quick, I feel the next wave of cameras will all be touting amazing auto focus and IQ. I agree that atm there's still obvious compromises but I believe all cameras will soon have tracking as standard. Porbably in the next 2 years.
    The only problem with auto focus is that it can't read your mind, it doesn't know which face to focus to, and it doesn't know that sometimes the gun on the table is more important to be in focus than the face of a hero

Quote Originally Posted by core_50 View Post
    The only problem with auto focus is that it can't read your mind, it doesn't know which face to focus to, and it doesn't know that sometimes the gun on the table is more important to be in focus than the face of a hero
    True, touch to focus does help though and you can also set function buttons to make the camera hold focus. I just don't like the idea that 'cinema camera' means that it can't have useful features even if in only some situations.

Yes, touch screen focus when it works right, is pretty cool. That said, I have had auto focus mess up, and not quite get thr focus dead on, so I stick,with old school and use a Follow Focus with stops.
    Cheers