Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 89 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stylz View Post
    What cinema cameras claim to fit in your pocket? "Cinema" is just a marketing term. What percentage of BMPCC users do you think actually use it on professional "cinematic" productions exclusively? A few for sure. What percentage of buyers do you think use this for everyday walk around point and shoot or for low/no budget short narratives where they can't afford a steadicam or even a gimbal? Probably a whole lot more. Cater to your customers, not your contradictory marketing term.
    I think they cater to their customers among the indie filmmakers around the world with the Low Price. If you need a camera for 'everyday walk around point and shoot' with image stabilization, there are plenty of alternatives that would satisfy your need.
    Imagine if Arri dropped the price of the Alexa down to $1295 tomorrow-- The loud echo of "BUT WHERE IS THE IBIS?!!" that would follow.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    So now it looks like every one and their dog has preordered one and I honestly believe this may be the most important digital camera release since the 5dmk2 (10 years ago). Does that mean I can go around being a hipster reminding everyone that I was into Blackmagic from the original BMCC.
    If that's your thing, sure. I can claim 2 features on the original pocket, so that's something I guess.

Geran, a Micro Studio Camera 4K is designed for Broadcast applications, great video output, and has SDI out, and you can record footage from it with the VA.
    Cheers

I just done some additional tests. It seems GH5s bakes ISO value after RW2 to DNG conversion. Similar images may be very noisy in shadows or not too noisy at all. Resolve also handle DNG files from GH5s not too perfect. This confused me.

ISO160 sample from this test article http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...review_images/ That Sony sensor looks very interesting now.

Original:

Graded, Expose 5, Gain 0.75, contrast 1.2
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

@shijan do you think pocket 2 might theoretically have a better DR than the first pocket?

Footage from NAB
    Not sure if this is real. Seems legit.

https://vimeo.com/265116579

Should we be worried about the sort of ghost trails or whatever? I downloaded the original file to take a look. I wonder whether this person shot using the settings displayed on the second image (file is 24fps while the camera says 23.98fps) and that might account for it.

Quote Originally Posted by W.D. Stevens View Post
    Should we be worried about the sort of ghost trails or whatever? I downloaded the original file to take a look. I wonder whether this person shot using the settings displayed on the second image (file is 24fps while the camera says 23.98fps) and that might account for it.
    I don't think you can truly make a judgement, good / bad / other, until you get actual footage from an actual productioon camera. To judge performance based off a prototype or another camera with the same sensor is not fair, nor is it going to give you accurate results. So we just have to wait and see what this actual camera can do. So why choose to worry? The reason their is so much anticipation about this camera is because Blackmagic has shown us that they tend to give us a product that punches way above it's weight and give people results they are generally very happy with at a price that is more than fair.
    Last edited by dannyboy; 04-17-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tclark513 View Post
    Footage from NAB
    Not sure if this is real. Seems legit.

https://vimeo.com/265116579
    Some weird ghosting going on at the beginning. Also the setting is terrible.
    I bet if you film something like "The Big Bang theory" (Sitcom Setting) with
    A7S, RED, Canon 5D Mark II you will not see much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    I just done some additional tests. It seems GH5s bakes ISO value after RW2 to DNG conversion. Similar images may be very noisy in shadows or not too noisy at all. Resolve also handle DNG files from GH5s not too perfect. This confused me.
    I mean, that’s sort of how having multiple “Native ISOs” works. You’ve got the digital gain stage, where middle grey metadata is shifted to give your images a brighter look, and then you have the analog gain stage, where the sensitivity of the sensor is actually boosted in order to get an image when there isn’t as much light hitting the sensor. Both add noise, both make your image brighter, but only one has a permanent effect on the output from your sensor.

The practical application for this is that shooting ISO 1600 on the BMPCC 4K in camera and shooting ISO 800 and boosting it a stop in DaVinci will give you different images. The camera is applying different levels of analog gain to the sensor’s output at these sensitivities, so we’re all going to have to be VERY careful about what ISO we use for our shoots.